1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

90's Ampeg Pro-series stuff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K-Funk, Sep 29, 2008.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I tried searching but couldn't find anything on this...

Are there any differences, quality or otherwise, between the newer Ampeg Pro-series heads and the older ones with the red and blue logo, flat faceplate, roman numeral designation, etc? Particularly the SVT4-Pro.

Thanks!

2. godsey

godsey

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tn.
    I have an 94 svt 2 pro,its been the best amp . i carry it in a roadcase its never let me down and i play for a living...

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Any other opinions, experience, insight, etc?

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There is generally little difference between the same model earlier and later......

There was not much "go back and make this cheaper" action. When a unit was made cheaper, it generally got a new name...... like "B-series".

There are some differences within a model over time, but in many cases they are improvements....... Speakon jacks were added on some units over time, DI went from non-isolated to transformer isolated, stuff like that.

Some early Mosfet units were not made with matched mosfets, but any that are still going now, nearly 20 years later, are not likely to fail from that cause any time soon. They have had a significant amount of testing by now.............