Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'90's Fender Jazz bass plus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    What do you know about the Fender's from this era?

I've never seen one, in person, and was wondering what the deal is.....?

2. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    I have a Fender Jazz Bass Plus. It's the only bass I own and I love it! It has 2 Lace Sensor PUs and active electronics. The body and head stock are a tad smaller than the '65 jazz bass I had but I love the feel of it. It's alot lighter than the Telecaster bass I had and WAY lighter than the Stingray I had, and it sounds just as good as both! Mine has a maple neck the serial # is 0001288, and Fender doesn't make them anymore. If you find one in good shape buy it! Let me know and I'll buy it!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think they're cool basses. Personally, I don't really care for the Kubiki electronics or the Lace Sensor pickups. I like the smaller body & smaller headstock.

Seems like a pretty good price, too.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Last year, these could be had on eBay for an average of $350 bucks.

For $500, I'd pass and buy a used MIA Jazz instead.

I mean I had one, decent bass, but not for 5 bills, if you ask me.

5. I've got a JB Plus V, and I gotta be honest and say I'm not real fond of the sound (but I like the body and neck shape and feel, and overall build quality). I can't determine if it's the pickups or the electronics, but I'm about to let it become an experiment. I'd like to get a pair of the current Fender Noiseless pickups that are in the American Deluxe Series, take out the active electronics, and run it completely passive. Anyone think this is a bad idea, or have ideas for other pickups? Your comments are welcome, and I don't mean to hijack the thread.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Before you spend money on Noisless p/u's, se how the Lace Sensor p/u's sound passive.

Also, if you deceide to buy the Noisless p/u's, make sure you check that they are the same size. I know that all Fender 5 string p/u's aren't a;ways the same size.