Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

90's HM Fender 5 String - cool or crap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Aug 9, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hair metal and Kramer guitar sales likely inspired Fender to produce flashy super Strats back in the 80s and early 90s. They tried some ideas out on bass as well and produced the US (and later) Japanese HM (heavy metal?) bass 4 and 5 string. These were more angular P body basses with 3 passive J-type pickups and a pickup selector like on a Strat. Needless to say, these didn't stick around long.

Anywho, I see the occasional HM 5 on eBay and have often wondered if they were any good. Anybody own one? Try them out in the past? Are they any good at all?

r

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Here's a couple of pix

3. The ones I played at the local music store back in the day sounded great and played great...but looked like a nightmare designed by somebody who had OD'd on Aqua Net. If I recall correctly, some had the Heartfield brand name and most were made in Japan.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I figure the old Heartfield line and the Japanese Fenders were made in the same factory by the same people. I know the old HM series stuff (the guitars anyway) were once made in the US and then produced in Japan (there's been a guitar debate as to which were better, the US or Japanese HM guitars). So I reckon the same can be said for the HM basses. The seller says this is a US model.

The finish on this model is pretty conservative for the line. I've seen neon yellow, and lightening bolts, and crackle finishes on these things (ick). If this axe plays as well as you say and if the price stays this low, I just might have a nice find here. Do you recall the low B string? How about the string spacing (I like to slap)? Was the neck of the wide and flat ilk?

Thanks,

r

5. The ones I played were all 4's. I'd contact the seller for string spacing information. These were high quality basses, definitely not junk. I just couldn't couldn't get past the finishes...call me shallow. :D