90's US Peavey Foundation 5 w passive VFL's (?) opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Feb 16, 2018.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I am trying to determine where exactly this bass sits in comparison to more modern 5 string basses.

Look, i love the bass, the action is outstanding, it sounds great with the VFL's but i am contemplating whether to look at other 5 string basses but it would need to be quite an upgrade if i spent more money especially.

Anyone own or has owned this bass your input is needed!

Its black on maple, super low action, all hardware appears to be very good, but its passive w VFL pickups (very good imo).

These are kinda rare, it looks,plays, sounds very cool imo and would not be hard to resell locally....need to know where it stands in comparison to others in the say $300 to $400 range and how much would i need to spend to get active and possibly better pickups etc, used basses are fine as well.

Maybe i should forget about an upgrade at all? Fpr some reason i really get along with this bass but am curious about other options too.

I am going to play this Foundation 5er thru my buds SVT soon but it sounds very good thru my different Eden and GK rigs and Music Man HD-150...thanks in advance.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You have stated the entire G.A.S. problem in your post. You already own a bass that works great for you. You like it a lot and find it has many attributes. Still....you are thinking of something....more...different...!

I own one Foundation with the later VFL single coil PU's. Mine is a fretless 4 string and it is a great bass but I do wish the PU's were dual coils because hum can be a problem.

A bass model that goes for bargain prices that may interest you is the Peavey Axcelerator 5 string. They are not common but have several things that could be considered an upgrade from your Foundation. The Axcelerator 5 is a 35" scale bass with active humbucker VFL PU's, a two band 18 volt active EQ and a slender neck profile. They also have a Pau Ferro fingerboard.

I own a 6 string Axcelerator and it is a killer bass that I bought for less than $400.

Or...OR....you could resist the G.A.S. and decide to be satisfied with your Foundation.

3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks...i just wanted a comparison to other basses regardless of brand in the say under $500 range.

The Axcelerator 5 looks good....still the noisy pickups though and i am trying to get a handle of where this bass is ranked in overall performance, even disregarding price.

How do you use the pickups btw? Both on?

4. It's not the same pickups. The Axcelerator 4's & 5's have active VFL powered by 9v battery same as the Cirrus and Millennium basses. The pickups in the later Foundations only use the same covers as VFLs.

When I think of modern 5 strings, i.e. 80's onwards, Yamaha is the one which springs to mind. That'll be down to Nathan East :)

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    So the pickups are quieter in the Axcelerator than my passive Foundation VFL's?

I am on the fence about active pickups....my Eden Metro has extensive EQ available as does the GK 800RB and both plenty of power.

The only bass i own that has active pickups is my 97 Ibanez SR800 4 string (which i like a lot) but its a more modern sound than my USA Peavey basses that are passive VFL, SF and P-bass pickups.....i like the simplicity.

Otoh, IF i were to buy the best noiseless passive pickups to install in my 90's VFL Foundation, is there anything that drops in?

6. David

First things is again I'll state you don't have VFL pickups, you have 2 single coils in VFL shaped covers :) Basically VFL's are humbuckers with a low number of windings, this gives them wide range over the frequencies but means they are of low output. To get round the low output they get a battery power boost.

Here's a link to VFL specs

And Foundation 5, you'll see clearly there's no mention of VFLs being used.

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/Foundation5.pdf

Now with any single coils you need both working to cancel hum,turn one down and they no longer cancel each other out. Doing a better job of shielding the control cavity will help a tiny amount but there's no escape from single coil hum. Swapping pickups is not easy as I've yet to find anything similar, think Kent Armstrong did something close.

I think a possible solution which I'll need to test but in theory might work. Both USA and BXP Peaveys use the same VFL pickups manufactured in Korea, I'll pop the VFLs out from a Millennium and wire it for single coil. I'm hoping the unused coil will act as a "dummy coil". Expect it'll be Sunday before it's done so bear with me OK

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Passive VFL style pickups have a lot of mid range, not a lot bass or treble. The tone does stand out in mix though, and it will respond well to onboard or outboard preamps.

8. @DavidEdenAria

The VFL idea needs work as they do need powered. I'll open up the RSB tomorrow,it uses VFLs coupled with passive tone pots. It'll be good news if it's just a 9v connector and a cap or resistor, plenty of room in the Foundation cavity.

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    So what are these pickups called exactly?

They actually sound decent enough, im fully aware of single coil hum with guitars, they arent terribly noisey and i probably should go ahead and copper tape the whole thing since i have plenty.

Its the neck on this bass i love so much and having owned and bought and sold over 100 guitars thru the years, the neck is everything imo.....thats why i mentioned dropping in aftermarket pickups....Peavey sure made some great necks! I've never owned a Peavey that didn't!

Btw, it is well worn on the back, you can see the flamed wood which i assume is maple, likely some softer species?

kodiakblair likes this.
  10. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had a Foundation 5 and added an EMG BTS control . The pickups and volume controls stay passive , the battery powers the stacked bass and treble controls . Very easy to install and there is enough room in the cavity for the battery . It comes with the Knobs and the battery jack . I think it was about $100 . It worked real well with that bass . S7300446.JPG S7300444.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    mech, Artman and DavidEdenAria like this.
  11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    That seems like a great upgrade having more EQ control.

Artman likes this.
  12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    This is the reason the Foundation isn't around anymore . I was way too bass heavy at the time and although it could hang with all these basses it was the most expendable . Having too many basses isn't good for me . S7300434.JPG

13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I get it...thing is, this is my only 5er other than a Dean 5er fretless with EMG's.

I am not familiar enough with 5's in general.....probably not going to sell this bass! Just wanting to see where it fits among others.

Thanks!

14. Artman

Artman a.k.a. Eddy Garcia Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    I once had that EMG BTS Control circuit in a CIJ Jazz Bass. It was great!

15. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    It’s a very good bass like most US peaveys.

Can do a very good “p bass on steroids” kind of sound using the neck pickup.

If you add active electronics I would reccomend that you do not do a 3 way pickup selector. Keep 2 volumes. These pickups allow for quite a lot of tone variation if you make subtle changes with blending volumes.

16. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I’m pretty sure I owned this exact same bass lol. Looks exactly like mine and had the BTS and that same paint chip.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That BB5000 looks incredible. Does it have super tight spacing?

18. @DavidEdenAria

I'm not sure they were called anything :) The BTC suggestion is much better than my crackpot idea so I'll put the VFLs back in the Millennium :D

19. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    OP: I highly recommend you stay with the Foundation as they are one of the most underrated basses in history. The feel and sound are top notch. However, if you decide to go with another bass...message me.

mesaplayer83 likes this.