90's Warwick Thumb Pickup/Pre Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TMARK, Dec 21, 2015.

1. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I am looking to replace the MEC electronics in my '95 Thumb. It has gold pickups and the two band pre.

I've never been 100% happy with the tone. I find it brittle and lacking in warmth. I really avoid playing the bass through clean hifi amps and use old DR Sunbeams. The MECs are also old and scratchy no matter how often I clean the pots.

I am going for the Warwick sound but a warmer and sweeter.

I was thinking Barts as I remember them as being smooth in Warwicks. Any suggestions?

One caveat: I want to keep the body stock, so a two band and Jazz sized pickups are needed.

Thanks in advance!

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I would also like to know what kind of preamp.

TMARK likes this.
  3. Thought about trying a Tone Capsule?

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've tried several replacements, all were preferred over stock. I ultimately went with Delanos, the model with the large poles. Awesome pickups.

TMARK likes this.
  5. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Tell me more! I've never heard of it. I will Google.

T

6. It is a preamp made by Darkglass, you have bass, low mid and high mid controls.. no need for highs.. I have one in a Spector.. it rocks!

TMARK likes this.
  7. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I remember now, I read about it on Best bass gear. Might do the trick, assuming I could work with the three holes in my Warwick.

99Z3 likes this.
  8. Yes you can.. you can to a vol/blend stacked, bass, high/low mid stacked

TMARK likes this.
  9. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Maybe a Tone Capsul plus some Nordstrands or Delanos would get my Wic on its feet.

Thanks for the info!

99Z3 likes this.
  10. Your welcome,

If you want to see what that Tone Capsule would sound like with some EMG pups, @tomydacat might help you out.. being that he is from the same area as you

tomydacat likes this.
  11. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    yeah I have an SSD ERA bass that has the tone capsule in it with active EMGs..

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021