1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

90s wilkinson bass bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vvvvv, Jan 21, 2016.

1. vvvvv

vvvvv

Dec 2, 2015
    does anyone out there have a chrome saddled 4, 5 or 6 stringed 90s wilkinson bridge they're interested in selling? To get an idea of what I'm looking for, I've attached a photo. Fingers crossed...

Attached Files:

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No. IMO, they were functional but perfectly dreadful in terms of design. On a more positive note:

*Place an impassioned plea on the Carvin users' forum. The Wilkies were stock on 90's Carvins but frequently swapped out for better hardware. Somebody may have one stuck in a parts bin.

*If push comes to shove, the Babicz has an identical footprint and is an attractive alternative.

Riis

3. vvvvv

vvvvv

Dec 2, 2015
    Thanks for the reply Riis. Yes I agree these bridges have flaws. In fact I have to do some mod work on the saddles to prevent strings from breaking. With that said, I like the way they feel in terms of playability.
    Good call with reaching out on the Carvin forum, I'll do that if I have no luck here...
    Best,
    Tim

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ah, just do it now as that's really your best shot. I'm a member...would you like me to ask? Here's the Babicz on my Bugs Bunny:

Babiczcloseup_zps19da64be.

Edit: I believe the model is the Wilkinson TW-4 and they show up occasionally on e-bay.

Riis

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. vvvvv

vvvvv

Dec 2, 2015
    If you could put out a feeler on the Carvin Users' forum I'd be much appreciative. I'll look again on eBay. I'm new to talkbass, so do I have to be a Carvin User in order to be part of the Carvin Users' forum?

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Rachel Dolezal was head of the Spokane NAACP, so no...have at it. I scanned the forum and saw a handful of references to the Wilkie TW-4 but none for sale. They've probably all been plundered / cannibalized for parts over the years. I was being gracious earlier: I hate the durn things and Wilkinson finally saw the error of their ways. Their current offerings appear to be the more conventional bent plate / cylindrical saddle style.

Riis

vvvvv likes this.
  7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That looks an awful lot like a Kahler tremblo bridge, ahhh,,...no it doesn't:
    https://www.kahlerusa.com/bass-tremolos-4-string

Zooberwerx likes this.
  8. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I have one with black saddles. PM me if you're interested.

vvvvv and Zooberwerx like this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    And I've got an all-black 5-string Wilkinson bridge that I'm selling, so...

Zooberwerx likes this.
  10. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    wilkinson_zpsu3gy9uqr.

vvvvv likes this.
  11. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    We could make a 9 string bass.

vvvvv and Bob_Ross like this.
  12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Use the 5 string bridge on the 4 string bass. When one of the claws break, you'll have a spare on hand...just re-shuffle the strings, spacing be damned.

Riis

vvvvv likes this.
  13. Tubamark

Tubamark

Jul 10, 2014
    Any chance that this bridge is still available? If yes, please PM me.
    — Mark

Bob_Ross likes this.
  14. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    Sorry, I sold it... though amazingly only just recently.