1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$92.50 for a pot?!?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I was hoping to start fooling around with homebrew onboard preamps on my Jazz, so i need more holes... i decided to get a concentric knob for my volume controls so i have 2 empty holes to play with for new knobs. it has to be a 25k ohm pot, which seems to be quite rare.

I called up Long & McQuade because i know they can order in EMG stuff, and i asked about getting an EMG concentric volume pot. he said he'd have to email someone. in the end, he sent an email saying it would be $92.50. this is obviously wrong, because this is the list price for the BTC control, among other things...

so... anyone know how much a concentric 25k pot REALLY costs? and where to get one in canada? i can't find any electronics sources that sell them.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    lol

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Specialized branded components can cost a heck of a lot. Also, note that you just said "i can't find any electronics sources that sell them." So, rare, not standard production, possibly manufactured just for EMG.
    I just Googled around and found this diyAudio thread. They are/were having a hard time sourcing these pots as well, and were trying (unsuccessfully) to get enough orders together as a group to get a wholesale shipment of 250 pots for $25 each. Good luck!

4. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I bought an EMG 25k concentric pot last year. It was to use on my Aguilar OBP-1 since Aguilar don't even make that pot themselves. I just went to a local EMG dealer and asked for that pot. Ask for the A25KX2 pot. (EMG parts number)

It's about $10.