1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$92 for 4 spark plugs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Solarmist, Jun 6, 2012.

1. I went to Honda for some light engine work, and got charged $92 for 4 NGK plugs! If I would have known they were going to charge that much - I would have walked down the road 5 blocks, and got them at the auto parts store instead. :mad:

2. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    Typical private shop rates are over $80.00 hr. and dealers are even higher. Auto shops are highly regulated which always drives up the rates.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's how they can keep up those free oil changes for people who buy cars from them.

-Mike

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm a fan of companies with green practices. Instead of disposing of it, dealer garages should put a courtesy pan of any excess lube they don't use at the entrance for customers coming through before they get their bills.

5. Was it for the whole instillation or just for the parts?

6. Plugs only - no labor costs included.

7. part # ?

8. :eyebrow::rollno:

9. Not only is that wrong, it is completely illegal for anyone to install parts on your car without notifying you, providing a written or verbal estimate and your permission.

I went through this with the B.A.R. and a local dealer who was diagnosing my then GF's car. The car wouldn't start and somehow the geniuses thought changing all the spark plugs would do it and then left them in the car and charged me for them when it didn't (obviously) fix the problem.

Many many many dealers and private shops will do things like this simply because many people don't know the law or much about cars and will just sign on the dotted line and pay the bill.

If they didn't tell you they were changing them and you didn't specifically ask for new plugs then they have broken the law and you can get your money refunded...

10. ^ I guess it's my fault then because they did ask if I wanted plugs installed so I could go home that day, and come back the next to install a special order part (coil). I should have asked how much they were, but I've always purchased plugs from auto parts stores for about $10/4. I assumed they would be about the same price, but that's what I get for assuming.

11. Ouch, yep. Gotta bite the bullet on that one. Another reason why I do pretty much everything on my car myself...

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    +1

Gone are the days of the 89 cent small block Chevy plug. Today's platinum, double platinum and iridium plugs can go for $10 to $15 each at a parts store.

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Did they kiss you "goodnight?"

14. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's right. I found that out a couple years ago when I replaced the iridium plugs on my wife's Honda. Fortunately, it was only 4 plugs. Her new car has a V8 with 16 iridium plugs. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to replace them.:crying:

Ben

15. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Ford? luckily, you only have to replace eight of them at a time. the secondary pair are for what i call "afterburn" basically secondary ignition to make sure all the gas is burned up.

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I paid $26 for an air filter at the oil change place today, for my bitchin' '95 Isuzu Rodeo. They told me in advance and I agreed to it. It sucked, but I've been to my local auto parts store. They are independent and have good prices, but they also have a line. The last time I was there I waited 30 minutes to have them give me the wrong hose and when I returned it I waited in line again for them to tell me that they distinctly remembered I ordered the wrong size when I know I did not. They gave me my money back, but it took another trip and another 40 minutes in line and listening to them lie to my face. So, today I paid $26 for an air filter to be installed in 8 minutes and it sucked but it sucked less than other recent auto repair experiences.

17. Too bad you live in such an isolated area with limited choices.

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    True. Pep Boys or ADAP would've had shorter lines and decent pricing, but they are further away and traffic is a constant here. It all comes down to how much my time is worth, and today I decided it was worth more than $26. I'm firm in my decision but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

19. These guys deliver and seem to often have the best prices.

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    16 plugs I'm guessing a Chrysler Hemi.