'92 USA Hamer Chaparral Active Bass Pawnshop Score!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Texsunburst59, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Every year I usually find 3-5 amazing deals on guitars and basses at pawnshops, but I'd never run into an amazing deal on a USA Hamer bass until today.

I actually tried haggling on the price, but it had just come out, and they wouldn't entertain an lower offers.

I decided to buy for the asking price.

The neck on this bass feels and plays amazing, and the Active EMG's sound clean and very punchy.

I think I did really well with this score.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bobunit, Bill Kron, Quadzilla and 7 others like this.
  2. I’m not enough of an expert to say it is or isn’t but a US Hamer for under $200 sounds good to me.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

let me get this straight: this is really an NBD --- which you're trying to slip in under the radar!? :laugh:

looks like you a cool ax for a real deal. love those PJ's. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

4. Thanks.

You got me.

It is a NBD.
    Yay!!!!

JRA likes this.
  5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $190 for that bass is a steal. Those are really nice basses.

bobunit and Texsunburst59 like this.
  6. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Awesome score, congrats!!

Just imagine the BFing the person who pawned that received for them to list it so low. They probably got about $80

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I looked around trying to figure out why that pawn shop priced that bass so low. Pawn shops know what they're doing. They check ebay, GC, etc. to find similar instruments and then use those prices as a benchmark. But I'll be damned if I can find any Hamer basses priced that low. Congrats, OP. This was a big score.

8. Thanks SMCD.

It's really the serial number that threw them off.

Most pawnshops can read Gibson and Fender serial numbers because the info is readily available.

You really have to search the internet for a bit to find the serial number codes.

It just like the older Fender Guitars and basses that have the serial numbers on the neck plate.

I picked up older basses and guitars because the pawnshops don't know how to read the serial numbers.

Also on the Fender vintage reissues guitars have the serial numbers on the neck plates.

These are the types of instruments that slip though the system and I get to snag for pennies on the dollar.

JRA likes this.