93 Stu Hamm Urge (MIM) rebuild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pep, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I've heard the same thing from others. I read somewhere that Fender often ships materials back and forth between manufacturing locations (US & Mexico at that time) when there is a shortage of parts, much like other manufacturers do. Perhaps the wood for this body came from California since the American versions were made of alder. Obviously the better woods are used for the finishes that are somewhat transparent, or in some cases they're veneered. Mine was veneered and I believe it was done to smooth out the surface. I've stripped a lot of bass bodies and this Stu Hamm Urge MIM is the worst one I've seen, but that won't matter if it sounds and plays well. I'll know every soon.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Well it's been over a week and I thought I owed you an update. My paint guy has been extremely busy so I'm still waiting for him to get the neck back to me with the headstock painted. He asked that I apply the decals after the finished putting on the base coat and 1 layer of clear.
    So last might I went to his shop and applied the decals. The "Stu Hamm" signature decal was easy but the Fender Urge one with the serial number was difficult. The first one ripped so I was down to one more and finally got it applied.
    The rest of the clear coats are to be applied tomorrow, then it needs to dry before being buffed out. I'll probably have it back no later than Saturday. If that's true I should have it together and ready to play sometime Sunday.
    The decals look awesome against the painted headstock.

3. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Would be nice if you got it back on the weekend. Good luck!

4. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    It's gonna happen. I just received word from the painter that the headstock is finished. Also received a photo. In the photo it looks black under the shop lights but it's actually dark teal. Headstock (2).JPG When I get it together I'll take pics in the sunlight so you can see it actual color. The decals came out amazing..
    Tell me what you think!

5. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Outstanding!

6. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Here's a pic of the headstock. The color shows better in this one. The brass washers really go well with the color and the decal. Finished Headstock.JPG

7. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Can't wait for the finished product.

8. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    It will definitely be done by tomorrow night, but I'm hoping for tonight.

9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Looks awesome!!

10. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Well guys, I ran into two problems that I should have corrected soon. (1) The shaft on thepot was too short. When I mounted it the nut wouldn't grab a thread so I'm switching it out this evening. (2) Also, there's a little paint build-up in the input hole. I'll need to Dremel that out for clearance. After that is done I'll be ready to solder my pickup connector plugs on, mount the electronics and knobs, mount the bridge, bolt on the neck, string it, set it up and try it out.

11. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Well, it's finally together. I did some minor set-up but will take it to friend tomorrow to get it dialed in. I haven't plugged it in. I'll do that when I get it back.
    Also I don't have very good light available tonite to show the paint like it should be.
    I'll try to do that tomorrow but if it rains which is in the forecast, I'll do those on Wednesday.
    It turned out better than I ever imagined it could.

StevieMac likes this.
  12. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    When I purchased this bass on Reverb, it was shipped to me in one box in two pieces, body and neck. I didn't bother to assemble it because I was going to rework it anyway. The neck was in great shape with no issues. When I sent the body out to paint I masked off the neck pocket to keep the new paint out.
    On Monday night I assembled it and started doing a set-up. After installing the strings I noticed that the headstock was too low and the strings were bottoming out on the last fret. I thought it was no big deal because I could adjust the bridge to accommodate, however I had to adjust the bridge to nearly max height to get rid of fret buzz.
    I rechecked the neck for straightness and it's fine. I determined it was time to shim the neck to get it in the right position but I didn't want to do that with picks or a gift card/credit card. I want the neck to have complete contact with pocket surface. I ended up ordering neck shims from StewMac. They'll be in today and it should be dialed in and ready to play tonite.
    If the weather holds out I should be able to get some finished photos when I get home from work today. Stay tuned.

13. Musky Bandit

Musky Bandit

Aug 30, 2016
    Nice! The Stewmac shims are expensive, but really easy to use and keep a nice full wood-to-wood (huh huh) contact between the neck and the body. And best of all, you won't have anyone getting all worked up about the possibility of a ski-jump forming on your neck!

14. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Well, here it is, dialed in and ready to play. The action is low and fast. The bass is absolutely beautiful. All I need is a case that fit it. I've tried 3 so far and they're all too big. I shimmed the neck with (1).25 angle shim and (1) .5 angle shim and it's sitting perfectly in the pocket and straight as an arrow.
    Here are 3 pics: a full pic, a headstock pic and a body pic. If you look at the full shot you can see the true color of the bass in the headstock.
    Tell me what you think. Also if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    final 4.JPG final 2.JPG final 3.JPG
    Here's a link to the condensed version. My (rebuilt/modified) 93 Urge Bass (MIM) from start to finish

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Rene Molina, MonetBass, ELG60 and 9 others like this.
  15. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Looks great! Awesome job !

16. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks! I have a gig on Saturday and can't wait to use it. I spoke with one of the moderators and asked if I should start a condensed version of this build and delete this one. He suggested to keep them both. That way guys who are following it will get to see the finished product and those who haven't been will be able to go through it quickly.

Crusher47 likes this.
  17. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Good luck with your gig

18. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Nice work. That is a beautiful bass.

19. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Very Nice!

20. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Kudos! That is very nicely done, and shows great attention to the details.