94 Ford Aerostar front end work...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My friend just rear ended someone with her 94 Ford Aerostar. She's fine, thank God, but she's worried about repair costs.

She knows she going to need a new radiator installed... what else is up there in that vehicle? She was going about 20, if that helps.

I'm just trying to mellow her out a little about it. Any help would be much obliged.
  2. I'd say. (complete guess) around $300?
  3. country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    You should check the radiator, radiator mount, hoses, belts, water pump, and fan. I doubt that there would be much damage at 20 mph, though.

I crashed my ranger at around 40 mph a few years ago and had to replace the radiator, water pump, and upper hose. I did the work in an afternoon and the parts were about $160. I also had to straighten the frame, bumper, and hood, and repair the radiator mount, but with a torch, a welder and a big hammer, it was pretty easy. Its good to have friends with tools!

I'm glad everyone was alright, and I hope your friend gets the van back on the road soon.
  4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What did she rearend, a car, truck, dump truck? How solid was the body before the crash?
  5. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Those Aerostars have strange engine compartments. It seems as though things are stacked on top of each other instead of to the sides of each other as in most other vehicles. So, it could be more than just the radiator.

It's also a difficult engine to work on because of this, so it may cost more than it would on other vehicles.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If the van has air conditioning, the condensor probably got trashed too. Thats the radiator looking thing that sits in front of the radiator.

Best bet imo is to let a garage look at the van to let you/her know whats damaged.
  7. Yup! After all, what we think might have or might not have been damaged is irrelevant. The bottom line is still going to be the bottom line, so take it to a shop or two and get some real estimates.
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

Bah, what do you know, goodwrench kaz says 300 bucks. It's not like he posts just to see his name :D