Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

94 MODULUS 4....??SHED ANY LIGHT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSNUTTT, Feb 26, 2006.

1. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    Hi...im new to the forum...just wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this bass...or has one like it.....its a modulus 4 string bolt on graphite neck with 2 active emg jazz pickups....black in color with white pearl looking pickguard..not sure of the model and modulus website is basic....the neck pickup sounds great but the bridge pickup is wimpy.:spit: ..it seems to be the same with my warwick 4 with emgs ..what pickup could you recommend for fatting up the tone on the bridge?...any suggestions..bartolini?basslines?dimarzio?:help:

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I can't imagine what Modulus would have 2 emg soaps AND a pickguard... but Im pretty sure that its best if you replace both of your pickups as opposed to just one of them (including the electronics). Whatever you do, don't just swap out one pickup (I dont think it's possible... but Ive never done it before so don't take my word for it). I agree that (at least on the Quantums I've played) EMG pickups can sound a little whimpy if theyre in the bridge position. Frankly I find little use for bridge pickups, but that's just me. I suggest you look at some of the Modulus basses with Bartolini pickups. You'll have to get something with the same size housing, and Im not sure how many brands make EMG shaped pickups.

3. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    HOW DO YOU POST A PIC?...I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW IT...I LIKE IT BETTER THAN SOME OF THE NEW ONES OUT THERE...DO YOU CONSIDER JAZZ PICKUPS SOAPS?

4. Yeah, interesting. I've never heard of a 2-pickup Modulus with a pickguard, either.
    Anyway, you can post a pic one of three ways. Underneath the "reply to topic" window you can click on "manage attachments". The other two ways involve using BBC code. Above the posting window in the formatting options is a box with a graphic of a mountain. You can click on it and it will insert the code for you. You just provide the picture's URL. The third way is to just write the code manually. You simply surround the picture's internet address (URL) with the command like this:
    "[img]"http address"" (minus the quotations, of course)

If you need free hosting of your picture, imageshack and photobucket.com are just two of the many out there.

The code for this one looks like: "[​IMG]"

[​IMG]

5. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Sweet looking Q5 Brad!This is my Q4 with a burl myrtle top.

[​IMG]

I love it!
    Cheers,
    Jim

6. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    HERE IT IS 1994 MODULUS.....ANY THOUGHTS?[​IMG]

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  8. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    sonic hammer?

9. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    DONT KNOW.....ANYONE ELSE? I WAS TOLD ITS ORIGANAL....35"SCALE TOO...IS THAT STRANGE?

10. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Not as strange as posting in ALL CAPS all the time.

11. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    I TAKE THE GRAVEL ROAD.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You could try sending Modulus' customer service an email with the serial number of the bass, they might be able to be of help to you.

13. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    Thanks,i did that ....have'nt heard back from them yet though.

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Yeah, I should have mentioned that you might have to have a little patience with them. They can be a little slow to respond at times. I have usually had good luck with them, with answers to my questions coming the day after I have sent them. Once or twice I had to wait a couple of days, though.

15. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    Cool....thanks for the heads up.

16. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No prob.:)

Cool bass, BTW. I have never seen one with that pickup configuration. I have seen a couple of old Quantums with pickguards on them, so I am guessing this must be some variation of a Quantum 4. There have been a few different ones that I have seen.

17. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    Nice....any pics of yours?

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    All I have right now is a pretty crappy one of it with my other two--it's the one in the middle, obviously.:)

19. 35" scale is the norm for Modulus. If you'll notice how far back both of those pickups are in relation to the bridge it's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that the bass didn't leave the factory like that. I think Moo's right about this bass being a Sweetspot model. You really should investigate what's underneath the pickguard before making any assumptions about the model. The contour of the pickguard on the E string side also looks highly suspicious. :eyebrow:

I think that your problem with the bridge pickup sound is not the pickup itself but the location. It's so close to the bridge that you're gonna get that tone no matter what pickup you put in there, IMHO.

20. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    heres the back...no control cavity?!:eyebrow:

[​IMG]