Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

94 modulus...one more time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSNUTTT, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    I havent heard of anyone that knows for sure what model bass this is.....Anyone?????Bueller????:help: :help: :help: :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Based on a quantum obviously ... but with a pickguard looks like some version of the M92. The version of that I remember had a sweet spot humbucker rather than the Js.

Looks cool whatever its called! Maybe its an "M94"?

3. mbrain

mbrain

Feb 20, 2006
    I'm no Modulus expert, but I think Pickles is right--it looks like an old Quantum Sweetspot (comes with a single pick-up) that someone carved up a bit, turned into a jazz, and slapped on a pickguard to hide their handiwork. How else to explain the "hole" around the neck pickup (which is also far lower than Modulus' standard placement for its jazz-style basses)?

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oh geez ... I didn't even notice the oversize route!

Yea, sure looks like it started life as an "M92" then had the pickups and pickguard altered.

5. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    Ya...there is a 94 5 string on epray just like it.(1994 modulus)...and my guess is it had been done at the factory ....theres no holes for a sweetspot pickup....and its definatly a pro job.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Sure, there's a hole for the sweetspot pickup......look at the oversize rout for the neck pickup.

That started life as an M-92 and was modded for the J pickups. Might have been done at the factory, might have been done by a luthier some time after its "birth".....no way to tell.

You can tell it's an M-92 because it's all top routed, even the control cavity. That bass has ALWAYS had a pickguard, whether the J mod was done at the factory or not. Quantums are all back routed.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I had a real oddball modulus one time that I couldn't identify so I email the pics to Modulus and they responded back in a couple of days with the model number and a brief history on it. It was pretty cool. Plus I got a free T-Shirt out of it :D

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Right on the money.

Cool bass any way you look at it. I bet it sounds PUNCHY!

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Amazing, given that the neck on mine twisted and they would return neither emails nor phone calls. TO THIS DAY they have never responded.

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Wow. Ouch. I'll give you the T-Shirt, if you want :p

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    ROFL!

No thats cool, thanks though. :D Just to put it in "the record" again, Jerry at graphite guitar systems (one of the founders of modulus) did an amazing job repairing the Q5 and charged me next to nothing. Modulus corp ignored me, Jerry hooked me up!!!

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Now that's customer service! Taking care of a item from a company you founded, but are no longer with. Yeash.

13. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH

That's weird I have spoken with them a few time with no problems

14. mbrain

mbrain

Feb 20, 2006
    "Sure, there's a hole for the sweetspot pickup......look at the oversize rout for the neck pickup."

I assumed that by "no holes," he meant that there weren't any screw-holes where a soapbar pickup was originally attached, which would also suggest this was an original, factory job.

Regarding Pickles' comments about Modulus being unresponsive, they've been a bit hit or miss in their communications with me as well. My local dealer indicated that Modulus is still a small, boutique-type operation, and the guy responsible for fielding this type of inquiry wears a bunch of hats, so you need to keep at it. Of course, it will help if you're the original owner (and thus have rights under the non-transferable lifetime warranty)--if you're a second owner, I'm not sure what Modulus is willing to do as far as neck problems go.