1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

95/96 Ernie Ball Music Man 5 Active schematics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spode master, Apr 8, 2009.

1. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    A friend of mine has a 95-96 Ernie Ball Music Man 5 string.

It has a preamp.

I just helped him swap out the stock pickups for the Bartollini 4 coil replacements.

He's not totally thrilled about the sound of the pre-amp (I guess its to neutral for him). He was wondering if he could do an active to passive switch, as bartollini claims their pup is good for active or passive.

Anyhow I'm not clear on what the Bartollini's Z is but I would like to see if I can find a schematic for the Music Man Pre-Amp. That would give me a good Idea of what I might be able to do with the bass's stock components.

Otherwise I guess I can just install a simple passive circuit, for him.

Thanks

Antone-

2. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    ???

3. I am not sure what you are trying to do.

Are you asking for a schematic of the preamp's components so that you can modify it?

If you are trying to add an active/passive switch, that is a fairly straightforward wiring mod, and there is no need to screw with the preamp.

4. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I want to see if the stock control values are acceptable for a Passive bass.

They may have a low Z volume Pot after the buffer, which is fine for a pre amp, but unacceptable for a passive pickup.

I suppose I could install a Bypass switch and 2 or 3 more knobs for the passive volume and tone controls. But that would be a lot of knobs. My friend still wants basic tone controls.

We might just take out the active pre all together.

I was thinking it would be cool to put in a capacitor bank tone shaping circuit if we went full passive.

To bad Bartollini doesn't really publish their Z or LCR specs.

Anyhow does that give you a better idea of what I want to do??

5. Ok, that makes alot more sense.

The easiest way to find out what value pot they used is to get an ohm meter and measure it. Did you check to see if the value was stamped on the pot casing?

6. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't have the bass at the moment, but I'll probably just take ownership of it for a while.

The old pre Ernie Ball Pre has a 25k volume control after the pre, which is fairly unacceptable for most passive pickups unless its really low Z.

Antone-