95 Volskwagen GTI vr6, 95 Saab SE, or 92 BMW 325 is

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 4, 2003.

1. 95 Saab SE

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. 95 Volkswagen GTI vr6

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. 92 BMW 325 is

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Mmm...Viggen! Sounds like an excellent plan.

--jeff

2. I get nothing but compliments and looks of admiration when I drive my '82 BMW 633CSi - even though it's in less-than-great cosmetic condition. It's impossible to go to the gas station without getting one compliment on it... nobody's ever thought I'm an "a$$whole"!

Stereotyping bad!

3. *bump*

So, Josh, how's the bimmer?

Let us know!

--jeff

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Did you know that power sliding in a rear wheel drive car is MUCH different from doing it in a front wheel drive car? :eek: I found that out one rainy day....

The car is very cool. I miss my Saab a lot, but this comes very close to making up for it. I'm getting the hang of rear drive, studying, practicing (safely, don't worry). I've added Koni adj. shocks, Eibach lowering springs are next. Cold air intake and chip after that. Sub frame reinforcement and poly bushings at that point are a must. I think I should have a pretty capable car at that point. I'm also not ruling out a turbo kit. Then I'd have one hell of a sleeper. :D The car screams BUILD QUALITY. I like it.

edit: I do plan on buying a Viggen someday, but I think I'll keep a Bimmer around as well. :)

edit edit: Oh yeah, I got the limited slip differential.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My friends left one at our house. 'Said we could drive it. I now know the difference between a gas pedal and "the Accelerator".

Yes I did buy it.
    [​IMG]
    Yes it rules. It is so instinctive, the stereo ain't much, but I LOVE this car!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    VW, no contest, my favorite car. (thats affordable)

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive the BMW was. It has been dealer maintained, throughout its life. Has never left the county, and I CarFaxed it prior as well.

Plus, just drive one. That will pretty much tell you if the car is for you.

8. As it happens, I do know that power-sliding is very different in a rear-drive car! I find it much more challening, but also much more rewarding.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! It's certainly a huge departure from the SPG - that car can never be replaced in your heart, i'm sure - but it sounds like it'll keep you interested for a good while!

Amen. Preach the faith, brutha'!

--jeff

9. Wow, a turbo kit and the such for a bimmer? wow...

have fun this winter in snow country.:meh:

:D

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    With snow tires and common sense it's not too bad.

:cool:

11. Well... the BMW 633CSi i've been driving is automatic - and my girlfriend and I needed another car... she can't drive manual, and I've been craving it - so she gets the Bimmer... and I got a 1991 Saab 900!

Now, this one was running rather rough - it's been sitting for a few months. I'm going to do a bunch of work on it next weekend (change fluids, filters, plugs, etc), however, in the meantime, I tried putting 94 octane gas in it... WOAH. I can't explain this, but goes like stink now. I've driven a few 900s, and a few turbos - this is not quite as fast as a turbo, but it blows most 900s out of the friggin' water!

I've been wasting slammed/spoilered Hondas all week with my new old Swedish machine. The ol' BMW is in pretty rough shape itself, and my Saab absolutely smokes it.

I can see this car is going to get me in a lot of trouble, ticket-wise... I've never driven an SPG... that would be even worse - probably a good thing mine's normally aspirated, as far as my license is concerned!

There's still a lot of things I prefer the BMW for - but this'll make a great tide-over until I can afford a mint '88 or '89 635CSi 5-speed.

Saabs are awesome... my love has been rekindled!

--jeff

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Jeff, slap a turbo in there, send me the APC and I'll mod it for you, get a five point harness, and then hire an attorney. I'm jealous I miss my SPG. I love the BMW, but I miss the SPG.

13. Hey Josh!

No kidding about the attourney :) I speed way more in this Saab than I do in the 633CSi. Must be the manual tranny - god I missed shifting.

I got this particular Saab for a song - it had been sitting in a family friend (Rob)'s driveway for six months - he got a new car and couldn't bear to part with the Saab - actually, I've been at him to let me buy it for years - he finally gave in. I got it ridiculously cheap ($500) - however it has an, er, interesting past, to say the least - I'm not sure it's quite a prime candidate for all the modding I would want to do...

The car now has 200,000kms on it. The engine was REBUILT at 100,000kms - the head gasket blew. Rob took it to his usual guy, who, unbeknownst to Rob, farmed the job out to another guy, afterwards letting Rob know it was done in another guy's apartment living room. Ooooooookay...

Rob said ever since that, it's been a little odd. He says it's overheated a few times, and he's experienced a fair amount of ping going up hills.

Rob put another 50,000kms on it, decided he couldn't deal with the quirkiness of it after the rebuild, started looking for a replacement, got one, and it sat for a while.

Then his daughter drove it for a while - she blew a clutch learning standard... I don't want to imagine the damage to the transmission, but the clutch is brand new. The tranny feels okay, although it does pop out of reverse on hills. As long as it's only reverse, there's a mod that can address this.

Anyway... Rob's daughter, Emily (who was initially a terrible driver but now is one of the few female drivers who regularly impress me) complained constantly about the Saab - saying it was slow, pinging, etc etc. Rob gave in and bought her a new car.

So now the Saab's been sitting, again - until last Friday - when Rob called me up and offered it to me for ridiculously cheap.

So...

I go over... jump start it, bring it back to my place, charge it overnight...

It initially ran like a dog. I let it near run out of gas, then put 94 octane in, just for giggles...

WOAH. Now it's a transformed beast! It does weird things below about 2500rpm (stutters and cuts out), but above that, it's phenomenal. It pulls like a champ to redline. Especially in 3rd and 4th - although I haven't found enough road to try that in 5th... yet... Also I haven't seen the temperature get above three quarters on the guage, and you know how I've been driving it... definitely nothing resembling overheating!

Now, I know the Turbos adjust the timing and such when you put in expensive gas to give you more power - I wasn't aware that the N/A 900s did the same, so I'm presuming when the guy rebuilt it, he did something screwy with the timing that has optimized it for expensive gas. I certainly don't mind buying 94 octane for it as long as it keeps running like it is now, as long as I'm not masking a problem that could be fixed that could allow me to run it on the cheap stuff.

Idunno... I'm having it checked out by an excellent local Saab guy on Monday - I'll know more about its bill of health then. I suspect, however, that i'll use it to tide me over a few months until I can afford something a little more solid - I'd love to get into a 9000 Aero...or a newer BMW 6 series.

Unfortunately, I just won't be able to swing it for at least 6 months, so hopefully I can fix this up a bit and then make a nice profit on it when I get rid of it. As long as the transmission is solid, I figure I'll dump about $1k CDN into it and then I'll be able to sell it for $3k or so. Aside from that I'll be pinching pennies... Heck, if this new job of mine really works out, i'll try to keep it and get another car... ah, it's fun to dream!

Sorry for the long winded brain-dump.

May the Schwartz be with you!

--jeff

14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    BMW all the way!! :)