1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

95 vs 2003?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Russell03SVT, May 8, 2015.

1. Hey guys, so im about to pull the trigger on buying a bass and needed help real quick.
    so, i had to choose between either a 2003 fender jazz bass mexican made with a softcase, or a 1995 fender jazz bass mexican made with a fitted fender hardcase. now these guitars look identical. same paint, and not a single scratch on either. both are the same price. now my question is... is there any difference between the 95 and the 03? anything i should know about before deciding? I really appreciate all the feed back

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    MIMs are hit and miss. Play both pick the one that plays the best.

3. im actually buying it off line. not many used basses to choose from locally unfortunately

4. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I would go with the 03. I think the production of guitars improved massively during the 2000's. I always feel like you can tell a guitar that was made in the 90s just by holding it. Actually that's probably true of any decade. Whatever you pick I'm sure it will be a good one.

Russell03SVT likes this.
  5. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Where's a time machine when you need one? Flip a coin. One thing to consider is the '95 is eight years closer to being an antique. That may sound absolutely insane today, but look at what the vintage market of yesteryear was compared to the present. If resale and collectability doesn't interest you, pick the one that gives you the best vibe. Only time will install the proper mojo.

Russell03SVT likes this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    A collectible MIM...pipe dream.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  7. jamro217

Really? Whoever thought American made instruments from the '70's, lawsuit models from that same era, Danelectros, and Japanese Fenders would be considered vintage or collectible? The idea is laughable if you were around in the '70's. So what will tomorrow bring? The instruments here today are aging and will undoubtedly have nostalgic value for those who cut their teeth on them. In a few years African nations or Iran may be making basses for all we know, wouldn't that increase the value of the cherished MIM or similar budget bass from today?

mr15x3 and steveinohio like this.
  8. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    The MIJs were considered that as well. What about all the Silvertones and Kay guitars from back in the day? Most people thought those would never be collectible either. Trying to judge what will be collectible is a complete guess at best. Ive got a ton of baseball cards that can attest to that. Buy what you like. Hold on to it if you dig it. Move on if you dont.

Russell03SVT likes this.
  9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    You can't compare today with 50 years ago. Production numbers are much higher, in Fender terms, there are 3 lines today and the MIMs are clearly the lowest. I own a very early Japanese P and even though it is generally accepted that the quality of these is about as high as any Fender, their value is pretty low. If you think MIMs are ever going to be collectible, please share the psychedelics...

10. jamro217

I always think back to what Number 2 said in the Austin Powers movie. "There aren't any countries anymore, only corporations" (maybe not verbatim). If there's a way to exploit humanity for a profit, the vultures will find it. "Here, starving natives, have a handful of gain for your 80 hours of toil. Our CEO needs another billion dollar bonus." When they announced that Fenders would be made outside of the USA for the first time, people couldn't believe it. I'm not citing them specifically, only illustrating the trend. Look at what the earliest 1960's Japanese instruments were. They eventually graduated to the status of the lawsuit models that were on par with American models of the day. Korea followed that pattern, crap in the '70's to acceptable entry level items today. That opens up the lower tier for some other manufacturers to fill. All corporations need to set up a factory are 1.) Safe, cheap land. 2.) Affordable, reliable power/ utilities 3.) Access to a seaport. Adding a few unskilled underpaid serfs isn't hard, considering the world economy. As far as trade rules and tariffs, who do you think writes those policies anyway, us? They do, for their own benefit. So when I say that basses may be made in Africa or Iran in the decades to come, this is why.

11. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Collectible and valuable are not always that same thing. I own a bunch of MIJ Fenders as well. They arent super valuable but they are collectible. Do I think there is a chance that some MIM may be worth more than what they originally went for? Yes. Absolutely. Especially so if people dont generally consider them collectible. Look at MIA Ampeg stuff. Look at Modulus. Like at certain era Lakland Skylines. Look at various Squier basses.

12. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    2003 has the more common "Staggered pickup size", like the US models. If you ever wanted to upgrade pickups, this would a better choice, as the older MIM sizes meant getting the body routed or ordering custom sized sets of pickups.
    I'd pick the 2003.

Tbone76 likes this.
  13. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Getting back to the OP's question, the quality of MIMs built in the 2000s seems to be slightly better than the 1990s in my opinion, although both should be decent. Playing both would be the only way to be sure, since that is not an option in this case I would vote for the 2003.

14. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I have a 98 and would take it over any newer MIM I have come across if you can get the same price with the hard case even better

Russell03SVT likes this.
  15. thanks for the input guys. the guy with the 03 waited until last minute to tell me it was fretless. im still learning so that isnt really an option for me. i went ahead and got the 95. it looks brand new and comes with a fender fitted hard case and i paid him $450 SHIPPED to my door. i think i got a decent deal right? i can post photos in a few minutes to show how mint it is if anyone cares to see

steveinohio and mr15x3 like this.
  16. MasonMinor

MasonMinor

Nov 29, 2014
    Kentucky
    Yes! Show us!

17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    $450 might be a little more than its worth, but with shipping and OEM hardcase included I wouldn't cry about it.

I have had a 1996 since new, and I still play it a lot. Takes a set up like a champ. As mentioned, the pickups are going to be the same size. Also, not sure about the 1995, but my '96 doesn't have a control plate. It has a full pickguard instead.

P1012371.JPG

MasonMinor and Russell03SVT like this.
  18. here is just a few pictures. i have a bunch that are really close up too. it's a 95 but the condition looks like a 15 lol

Attached Files:

bassrich and Tbone76 like this.
  19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    15? No way. I'd say it's closer to 20!!

Nice score, @Russell03SVT

20. haha thanks man. i basically made my mind up that i was getting black with the sunburst and you wouldnt believe how hard those are to come by used in good shape in the south east. i found this one about 3 states over after a week of straight looking and just decided i wanted to get it over with lol