1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD '96 GK 400RB ...

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by tjh, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I purchased this several months back from bluesrx, after hearing all the love that these older GK's get, and immediately I was converted ... when I like something, I like to have a few on hand ... I now have three 400RB's and one 800RB in the house ...

.. this particular 400RB that started it all for me, was the one I took to the shows and plugged in first ... I liked it ...

.. the problem is, after doing a few shows splendidly, it acted up two shows ago, on the last song of the 3rd set ... I started to get a very distorted 'buzz/honk' type sound on intermittent notes ... my first inclination was that I was losing a speaker ... I quickly dialed out the bass EQ on the amp and finished the song ... during break I tested both cabs, and they were fine, so I shut the amp off for break, and when we returned for the final hour, I reset the EQ and played the whole set without an issue, in fact the band got louder as a whole (imagine that)...

At home during the week, I played the whole stack (two 8 ohm 210's) for over an hour trying to duplicate what I heard, and it never missed a beat ... I then played the head thru one of my 4 ohm 110's, and after about a half hour, it zonked .. for all of about 6 notes ... then for over another half hour, it was perfect again ...

... long story short, the next show during sound check, it zonked ... this time for about 4 or 5 measures of the song ... this was a pretty big show for us, so I switched it out for my 800RB for the night ... during the next week, I again plugged it in at home for about 20 minutes, and again, no issues ...

... so to wrap up this novel (which I decided to write in the interest of full disclosure) ... with 2 more 400RB's and an 800RB in the house, and being about 2 hours from the shop of choice, I have decided to put it up for adoption, rather than driving to and from, and paying the shop to look at it ...

.. this head is actually in real decent shape, it has all the knobs and caps (one cap has a black line, the rest all white), and as mentioned, it sounds great and is incredibly simple to use ... I cannot believe the output of these older GK's, they perform better than units I have had with more than twice the power rating .. the love they get here is justified ...

Knowing this head needs attention, I am pricing it accordingly ... I am a plug and play guy when it comes to amps, I dont tinker with them .. if someone is capable, this could be a very simple fix, once you see what is doing for yourself ...

AGAIN, in attempt of full disclosure, IF you are purchasing this amp, be aware that it HAS acted up, albeit intermittently, so MAKE SURE you have a back-up along if gigging it ... I woud love to have somebody call and hear how it sounds when it 'zonks', but the chance of getting it to act up on demand will be slim to none ...

anyhow ... $130 plus actual USPS shipping to lower 48 ... as with everything I ship, it will be packed like it is going into battle ... hopefully the pics link attached below is working properly ...

BTW, the serial # is 140657, so that would mean it was made in '96 ... thanks for looking

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff406/tjh2312/

2. themeanreds

themeanreds Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    There is a very good chance that the root of the problem is in the effects loop jacks; a cleaning or replacement of those jacks, or removing the loop from the circuit, often cures such problems with those 400RBs.

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Yup. The Achilles heel of these. Just find an old stomp box jumper cable (or any 1/4" patch cable/ guitar cable) and put it into the send/return.

Mine makes the rounds with one permanently in place. Zero issues.

But if you don't believe us, I can scrounge up $130 somewhere.... :bag:

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... yup, I read about that little trick ... and unfortunately, being an intermittent thing it wasn't acting up before I put the patch chord in (at home), and it wasn't acting up after I put the patch chord in ... it may have solved it, and if that is the case, somebody is going to get a heck of a deal ... if if doesnt solve it, somebody knows going in about the issue and is buying it priced right ... thanks for the heads up though ... I will play it more over the weekend and see if it does anything, as we dont have any gigs lined up over summer to try it in that situation ... I have some DEOXIT, I can give that a shot in the jacks also...

5. angelopbass

angelopbass Supporting Member

May 18, 2011
    struthers, ohio
    bump for a great amp that even if serviced, shouldnt cost much at all. ive had 800rb's and 400rb's serviced ands dont think ive ever dropped more than a 50 dollar bill, and had a brand new amp at the end of the day:bassist:

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    thanks angelo ... got called late last night to do a 20 minute set at church this morning ... no zonk and sounded good .. these heads continue to surprise me, no matter what cab I toss at them ...

7. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    PM sent!

8. clayfiske

clayfiske Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I've got a late 80's that I can never seem to part with. I know that if my current amp goes down, it will be a great backup.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    sold and shipped ... thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.