Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

97 Fender CS 64 Jazz Relic Different From Current Model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tjoTim, Jan 4, 2003.

1. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    According to fender.com, the Custom Shop Time Machine 64 Jazz Bass Relic was "introduced" in 1999. I have an opportunity to buy a Custom Shop 64 Jazz Bass Relic, but the seller says he purchased it in 1997. The serial number is R1218.

Can anyone explain what the differences are between the 1997 relic model and the one that was introduced in 1999?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not 100% sure but I beleive that in 1997, the Custom Shop did only a few peices. Total custom orders but then later on, as they got more & more orders, they started making, not "production line" basses but they had a few years (i.e. "64 Jazz") that they put in their cataloge as a CS available in their line.

3. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    Mostly, I'm concerned about differences in quality (of materials, workmanship, sound, playability, consistency) or differences in resale value.

Comments welcome.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    There was a time before the Custom Shop started doing the Relics that they were done by a guy in Missouri.

Do a search at the Fender.com site or check with the guys there.

I feel that the early Relics were were much better than the later stuff coming out of the CS, IMHO.