1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'97 jazz deluxe pot replacement question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I have a Jazz deluxe that needs a new mid pot, but the solder is covering up the numbers and I cant read it. What kind of pot do I need to replace this with?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the pre I've got didn't say, altough it had what I assume are part numbers that could be looked up.

Tone pots are typically linear but you could use an audio if you couldn't find linear. Also typically they're all the same resistance in a given pre. The b/t in my deluxe were 100K so that's what I used for a mid. So look at your b/t pots. Mine's also not 10 years old and Fender doesn't ever seem to keep anything the same - actually any manufacturer for the most part.

3. Thanks. Ill take a look at the other pots. Linear just didnt sound right to me. Sounded more like what youd use for like a normal tone knob in a passive bass. Those have a center detent?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Probably sounds odd cause it's not something that comes up in TB posts for whatever reason. If you look at the NTMB or OBP-3 diagrams you'll see Linear designation for the banned tone pots; which is what bass, mid, treble are. Not a tech/spec guy but I'm guessing there's a reason for it since the major manufacturer's extend themselves to use two separate types of pots. Regardless I wouldn't hesitate to use an audio.

Your typical tone pot doesn't have center detent but that's a convenience and has nothing to do with function I'm aware of. The 100K I used I pulled from a defunct Status pre and it has 10 step detent. You'll just have to take what you can get, whatever it is. What matters most is the pre works, cause apparently now it doesn't. So anything's better than nothing - at least for the time being.

Also, it seems if they're caps/resistors involved (ala typical Bart mid), the pot resistance will be altered in accord. They are none in my deluxe pre.

5. Well right now, the mid pot does work, its just lost its detent and its a little loose (tightening it didnt help) and I wanted to try and find another one. Im 99% sure there arent any caps or anything involved, so I guess Ill just have to find a place that stocks pots with a center detent.

Thanks again

6. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    Have you checked fender.com? They have a rather extensive wiring/diagram database...

7. I did, but I couldnt find anything for this vintage I guess youd say. I dont know if they changed the ohms on the newer ones or not.

I checked the b/t pot and lo and behold its just a few numbers, no resistance rating. :rolleyes:

Maybe someone can decipher this for me. 49442 and then R1379731. :confused:

8. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I Believe that the R1379731 is the manufacturer identifier translated as follows:

137 = CTS Manufacturer
    9731 = Year 1997; Week 31

The 49442 should be the manufacturer's part number for that pot. I would contact CTS or a CTS supplier and see if they can help. DigiKey (www.digikey.com) sells CTS.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Mines a 49443 with 0606. It's a real freak pot: micro with short shaft and the pot hardly larger than the thread diameter.

It still has a center and outer lug so I could measure resistance and it is 100K. No doubt I did that before but what I remember was looking at B/T rating.

10. Which prongs did you use to measure resistance? If I can get a hold of a multimeter I could do that.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

doesn't matter it goes from center lug to outside. Rotating the pot full one way gets you the resistance or infinity for one outside lug, rotating the stem full the other way for other lug.

I didn't mention it before cause the pot has to be disconnected and you said yours is still in the bass in use so you'd have to disconnect the leads, two of them anyway.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021