Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

97 Spector NS-4: to Buy or not to Buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I have a chance to pick up a 1997 Spector NS-4, American made, for $1250.00. Any opinions? The price seems fair. Someone changed one of the jazz pups to an EMG 35 along the way. PJ Rubal said that the bass originally had 2 jazz pups. Let's see if I can attach a pic.........

2. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    do it!
    don't do it!
    do it!
    don't do it! :help:

3. DO IT!

4. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    those block inlays look sooo good.

i dont know much about the value of spectors on the used market, but if it's a fair price i'd say go for it.

5. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    worst case scenario...I can probably resell it for a little under
    $2000.00 ($1800.00 maybe).

I've just been buying so much damn stuff lately.........well, my wife did want me to stop drinking. I needed another hobby, and those inlays do look awfully nice.

Looks like it's time to put the Euro NS4 up for sale, and the 92 Fender Jazz 5 string and the.........

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    VERY nice bass..... I like the combination of EMG J with an EMG35 :bassist:

If you don't..... I WILL!! :hyper: ;) :D

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it...

Awesome deal- you will easily get your $$ back from it, and probably make a couple Hundred $$ if you are patient. If you keep it, all the better- Spector rules.

8. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    bump

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What color is the Euro?

10. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    The Euro-Spector NS-4 CRFM- is red stain. very nice hard to photograph. I can send you pictures if you like. The price is $750 with a gig bag.

11. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    BUY IT!! At that price you can easly get more then you paid for it.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 1995 NS-4 (2 EMG DC 35s, 18 volts) and would hope to get as much as $2,200 - $2,400 on the open market (it's in mint condition) *when* I sell it. I think $1,250 is a downright steal, depending on the condition. In fact, it's so low, I'd be a little concerned about the condition...have you checked it out yet?

It it's in good (or better) condition, it's a fantastic buy!:D

13. Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it... I love Spectors and that one looks awesome.

14. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    Man that looks So good! I think you should buy it man!

15. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I am the last one to tell you to not buy a Spector (since that is all I own) but I would think twice.

1. It's been modded.
    2. It's been modded.
    3. It's been modded.

Do you have access to it? I would love to see how well the mod was done.

I have been watching the resell of Spector's for ever and it isn't that great. That's why I buy all of mine through Spector or second hand. For instance I just bought a second hand 9 month old US 2J for $600 with a case(doesn't have a scratch on it)! That was a steal and a half.

I always see the "I could get double" line or "I can get at least". If you know someone will pay that, sell it when you get it. Watch Ebay and these forums for awhile, there are always US Spector's on Ebay that only fetch $1200-$1400. It is pretty sad, and the fact that this bass has been modded I would have to guess it will bring the price down.

On those words, if you have the money and the mod has been done well, I'd buy it. :smug:

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1
    I've been looking at Spectors on eBay for a couple of years now and I've seen Euros go for as little as $650 and these were nice ones.

17. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I highly doubt you would be able to sell for that much with the p/u mod. A used, original American Spector with a neck through in great condition usually sells in the $1700-$2000 area. The reason that one is a great price is because it is not in origninal cond with the proper p/u's

As far as if you should do it, I would say if it sounds good and the p/u job looks good cosmetic wise, do it.

18. That bass is really hot.

I would get it...

19. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    if i had the money i would definetly buy it :bassist: