1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'97 Warwick Streamer ProM Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FrankieBaker, Nov 25, 2010.

1. FrankieBaker

FrankieBaker

Mar 5, 2006
    Hey gang
    I have '97 Warwick Streamer ProM 4 string bass. It truly the best playing bass I've ever played but the sound is terrible. I also have a Corvette standard 5 string and the sound of the corvette kills the streamer. Is this just what others have found? Any suggestions on what I might try?

-Frankie

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Streamer Pro M 4 was my all-time favorite when playing four bangers. Strange harness though...two separate preamps. What's terrible about the tone?

Riis

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

If you don't like the sound You can try different pickups and electronics. That's about it

4. Subscribed.

I got a ProM5 streamer, great feeling bass.
    But the sound... well i dont like it ><.

5. FrankieBaker

FrankieBaker

Mar 5, 2006
    Hello Zooberwerx
    There's no bottom end. The mids seem to drive the sound and the top end isn't crisp. I have to try to adjust the tone knobs on the bass and the eq on my rig to get even an averagebsound.

6. that's what a preamp is for. play with the EQ and I'm sure you can get some low end from it. I guarantee it, in fact.

7. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    I own a Streamer ProM 4 and your description pretty much fits the tone of the instrument, you can try different strings and pickups but I'm not sure its going to change that basic character of the instrument.

If you don't like the way it sounds you can sell it and buy a Streamer LX, everything is the same except the electronics and the pickups so it's going to feel pretty much the same but sound different.

8. you seem to be contradicting yourself. If the LX is basically the same, why couldn't a pickup change alter the "basic sound" of the Pro M?

Maybe the OP should look into basses that have a neck pickup?

9. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    Now that you say that my post really doesn't make any sense. what I meant was the inherent tone of the bass plus the location of the pickups. if you are going to route the bass for a neck pickup you might as well just buy one with a neck pick up like the LX since its basically the same bass construction-wise.

I hope I made my point clearer:smug:

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay. That's pretty much the nature of the beast; you'll never coax any old school or sub-dub vibe from it. What happens to the low end when you boost the onboard bass EQ?

As mentioned, the Streamer LX 4 (P/J) may offer what you're looking for. While you may be tempted to swap the pups and pre on the Pro M, the instrument has more value in its original state should you choose to sell / swap at a later date.

FWIW and IME, the Pro M 4 eats batteries for breakfast.

Riis

11. Matt78

Matt78

Sep 21, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    BE WARNED! I AM THAT NINJA!!!
    Gotta bump this for a reason:
    I have a '99 FNA, saw one of the ProM's cheap and grabbed it. Found the same thing...sounded NOTHING like the FNA! So, project time... I pulled the p-ups from both and tried the FNA in it, sounded like the FNA even without a perfect fit stuffin the p-up in there. I got another set of p-ups for it and it sounded as good as it played. Just FYI if it comes up again...