1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

98' Fender American Jazz Bass upgrades???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acustiman, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    Hi All,

Got a J-bass and looking to upgrade the pickups mainly. I've recorder with a P-Bass style pickup in the past but really like this NEW bass! Is there a decent upgrade for the "J" to get it in the ball park for some nice tracking, and live play over the stock pup's, do i need to go active??? (thinking fat..but low noise) ?

-Thx for the help.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's a Fender: Leave it stock. I used to have a '97 Jazz and it was perfect from the factory.

3. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    PB,

Maybe it's the P style that are better for tracking SOME rock. I've compared the two... and in the context of the mix i like the P...but the playability of the J!

It's all about the tone u know. Damn

4. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    i love the nordstrand nj4se pickups. they are pretty hot, low noise, great tone

5. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    Great thanks...

Oh...And excuse the newbee wrong post catagory.:meh:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I was just about to recommend these as I just got a pair, and they are phenomenal!

7. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    Are the nordstrand nj4se the vintage J sound... only cleaner and hotter???...I'm thinking after reading around here a bit a more modern sound is what I'm after.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Pair them with a preamp, and you've got any sound you could possibly want. Especially with an Audere preamp, you can change the entire response of the preamp with a little swap of stuff on the pre itself.

9. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    Trevorus,

Yeah the Audere preamp looks like the ticket...wish i could get a sample run of what this sounds like installed.

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I usually like stock Fender pickups, too. But if you want to take it up a notch, another +1 for the Nordstrands. I have an NJ4 set, and to me they are the best Jazz pickups ever. Get the NJ4se for the split-coil and no noise if that is a concern. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I got mine used for pretty cheap. Way less than new. Might have to check out an Audere myself. Even though I like the all passive.

12. This may not apply, but I have a '08' MIA Jazz V that I decided to swap out the American Standard pups with Bartolini 57J1's and it didn't go my way. The Barts have a low mid growl that sounds good, but I like the deep low end that the AS's have better, so I ended up going back to the AS's. There's a reason why the Jazz has success in the way it sounds, I should had just left it alone.