Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

98 Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deadlycow2000, Feb 4, 2006.

1. deadlycow2000

deadlycow2000

Jan 22, 2006
    Hey, I was was looking for a new bass today and saw a really nice 98 warwick thumb BO (with a wenge neck). I also played a newer (2000?) NT, but I prefered the BO. I was wondering if this bass is worth getting and how it compares to a new thumb (quality and neck profile). Thanks.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like the BO's. Quality wise they are absolutely fine. The neck profile is a little chunkier on the BO's i believe.

3. Man I feel you! I got bit really bad by the Thumb-bug on Dec. 17th while I was in Orlando for a Static X show... Man, that bass made my day superb! The... well, everything was top notch, it just felt so completely right in my arms. However, what impressed me most was that I could dial in any tone I wanted, and I mean fat and chunky, to trebly and ready for slapping! This is most likely going to my next purchase bass-wise. Definately worth picking up... That is, if you have the change laying around.

-ryan-

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    And in general, the ovangkol necks have a chunkier profile than the all-wenge necks. I've played a newer Thumb bolt-on 5 with the ovangkol neck and graphite nut. I felt I could dial in a variety of tones, the small concave body hugged me nicely, and I like a chunky neck because necks that are too thin cramp up my hands.

However, I think the all-wenge neck just adds that certain mojo to the tone.

I think Thumbs are excellent values on the used market as are Warwicks in general. People fall in love with the tone, fall out of love with the weight/balance, and their loss is someone else's gain.

I'd go with the '98, but that's mostly Dincrestian bias.

5. Am I one of the very few people who don't think Warwicks are heavy basses? I don't think they weigh that much more than a Fender P or an EBMM Sting Ray. Also, from what a fellow TB member has told me, a Thumb 4 he played had no neck dive at all!

-ryan-

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't much either, Ryan. With my Gerald Reese SlapStrap (3.9" wide), my Corvette doesn't feel very heavy and I can dance around on stage and stuff (maybe not as insanely as the guy in Fall Out Boy, but I'm not weighed down either.) On the other hand, my Soundgear is quite light and it feels cheaply so while my 'Vette feels solid.

However, when I showed my Corvette to a good friend of mine, he thought it was an anchor comparable to his Gibson Victory bass. FWIW, I thought the Victory was much heavier than my Corvette. We all affectionately call that Victory bass the ten ton bass. A Peavey T40 bass I tried once at GC also weighed a ton.

Then again, I also lift weights 3 times a week and keep myself healthy/in shape so individual differences can vary there as well in terms of heavy feel of an instrument. Either way, I would NOT recommend a Warwick to someone with back problems unless it was the limited edition Corvette HotRod with the chambered out swamp ash body. Even if you don't have back problems, I wouldn't recommend a Warwick unless you buy a good quality wide (4" or so) padded strap.

And with Thumbs, they balance well when you play them at chest height. The small concave body and short horn are specially designed for chest-height playing. But not everyone likes playing chest-height. I prefer my bass to be tummy-height. So for that alone, I'm more of a Corvette man myself though I wish Warwick hadn't discontinued the Fortress shape on their German models. That probably balances really well.

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I had a Thumb NT 5 of '96 vintage, which obviously had the wenge neck laminents.... and oh my, the tone! and, oh my the WEIGHT! and ugh, the BALANCE! uttlerly the worst playability of any bass I have ever owned. I literally couldn't reach first position when I wore the bass at a comfortable position. It also weight like 15 pounds or so. Seriously though, it was a tone monster.

When I was selling it, a guy who owned a bolt-on did an A/B at my house between his bass and mine though my eden rig. I thought the NT sounded better, but he liked the bolt better. We both agreed that spending the extra $$ on the NT wasn't necessary..

8. I've heard so many people A/B the B-O and the NT, and the result is almost always in favor of the B-O. Honetsly, I don't need a mid control on my bass, mids are something I set and forget on my amp. I also could give a rodents behind with Bolt On opposed to Neck Through. My brain knows that there is a difference in resonation between the two, but my fingers and ears don't notice a darned thing... Which leads me to say, why drop that extra buck when I don't even need to???

-ryan-

9. deadlycow2000

deadlycow2000

Jan 22, 2006
    Hey, thanks for all the responces. I'm probably going to get the 98 thumb BO, but I'm not sure if the price is good. It's being sold for about $1250, does that sound right. It's in pretty good shape, some scratches, nothing major, and from what I remember the neck was in good shape except a dent on the edge of the fingerboard, but it doesn't change the playability of it.

10. Honestly, I would have a bit of a problem paying $1250... Some guys think that the 100% wenge neck is worth it, I don't. Considering that you could get a new '05-'06 model for around $1300-$1400... I wouldn't do it, but it's up to you man.

-ryan-

11. deadlycow2000

deadlycow2000

Jan 22, 2006
    Actually, I forgot to mention it was a 5 string, if that makes a difference. But what do you think would be a reasonable price to try to talk the guy down to? Thanks again.

12. Well, I'm not too keen or up-to-date on used Thumb 5 B-O prices are... However, ePray has two Thumb 4 Bolt-Ons currently listed, and one is at 17 hrs. and $560. The second is at 1 day and $650 with a hardshell case. Also, there is a Thumb 4 Bleach Blonde (Limited Edition) being auctioned... Current price is $1250. So, I don't think I wouldn't pay anywhere near $1250 for a '98 Thumb 5 Bolt On ( I don't care one lick about that Wenge neck either.) Instead, I would buy the Limited Edition Bleach Blonde... Or talk the seller that has the '98 you want down to around $800.

Just to clarify, I am in no-way affiliated with any of the auctions I have mentioned... Just using them as a tool to demonstrate the used market price of a bass... I would never sell a Thumb anyways!

-ryan-

13. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    way too much. I got my brand new thumb 5 BO (and a lefty at that!) last august for 1300 or 1400. Its still too new to be considered vintage. No more than a grand, and that's if he waxed it weekly and never took it into smoky clubs... 800 if it's in normal shape, 900 if it's in great shape, and 1000 if it's showroom pristine perfect shape, with a few extra sets of strings.