$99 140 watt Bass head w/12 sets of strings and a tuner?!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
  2. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    How did I just know that this was going to a Sam Ash blue light special :rolleyes:
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I have no affiliation-I was just amazed how cheap it was.

Everytime I check out Sam Ash, their prices are nothing special.

Crazy, isn't it? :eek:

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Signal to Noise is 68.6db. That's not very high. There would probably be a lot of hiss in that amp at decent volumes.

No wonder it's on sale.
  5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Oh yeah-not saying that you are dealing with a BMW of a bass head here...more like a KIA. I just picked one up though. At worst, it could be a headphone amp LOL!

Or...you could use it as a frisbee. Some frisbees cost $99!

Hartke frisbee golf!

(and you still get 12 sets of strings and a tuner)
  6. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Does anybody know what this puppy weighs? No where in any of the specs I've seen is the weight listed. I even found the manual on music123.com, and it doesn't state it either.

- Frank.
  7. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I doubt that's significant in a bass amp, especially if not running tweeters.

Heck, my Ampeg stuff doesn't even HAVE listed S/NRs. My pricey Pro Series SWR gear only shows a claimed -72dB.

Whether or not the production gear meets the published specs is another matter, but I would not regard a published -68.6 dB S/NR as a meaningful negative.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'd be afraid to use those strings on my bass.......... :eek:
  9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Well my ampeg stuff lists <80dB or something like that, but its as noisy as all hell. Time for some new tubes...
  10. That wouldn't be a bad little head to have in a dorm room or something.
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'll pass, but you know that isn't a bad deal for a starving student.
  12. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I did it. Not the head but the cheeep practice combo in the closeout section. $60 for a little amp, tuner, and 12 sets of strings? Can't beat it. I've read the reviews on the strings, but I'm really not that picky - I sweat a lot and have to replace even high quality strings pretty frequently. I've even used Rogue strings and been reasonably happy. Also, my main gigging bass has a Vbass pup, so I'm not actually using the tone of the string, just the frequency.

There's no place on the rebate form to specify what string gauge you want. I'm just going to write it in and hope they comply.
  13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    LOL! I've used those Rogue strings before-they die quick, but when new are good for a gig or two.

Funny, this morning I'm really wondering what I'm going to use the head for (I have 2 giggable heads and 4 combos already). I guess it could always be used as an emergency power amp. That practice combo is a good deal also if you just need a small practice amp.

Lync (sucka for the blue light special)
  14. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, me too...otherwise I would have ordered it by now.

Plus, I don't use roundwound strings. I imagine the strings are about the same as a bunch of others as they're US made and that narrows down the source quite a bit. I don't see people having much luck unloading them on eBay, though, even at $5 a set, shipped.

Funny, there's some jackass dumping a bunch of these amps on eBay described as follows:

[picture of amp sitting on top of an open box]

"New In Box with No Reserve!"

Blah, blah, blah...

"The unit is/was a store display unit with some scratches, and is still new"

Man...don't you just love eBay's inept misrepresentations?
  15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I used to use that exact head on a medium/low volume gig with a 2x10 plus tweeter/horn cab and it was not noisy at all. I paid $100 plus shipping for it used off of eBay (and that was the best price I found at the time) so given the thing is New and comes with 12 sets of FREE strings and a Tuner ANNNNND has FREE SHIPPING this is really a great deal for people who can use a small wattage head like this.

PS. This head is basicaly a 140 watt version of the head that comes in the 120 watt version of the Hartke Kickback combos.
  16. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

is there a link to that?
  17. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Because of this sale, I now have a Hartke 1400 in the mail. I saw it, checked out a couple reviews to make sure it wasn't a piece of junk, and pulled the trigger. I've been looking for about a week to find a good amp for my situation, but about half an hour after seeing this one I knew I couldn't pass it up.
  18. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
  19. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The $59.99 small amp is gone. There were only a couple left.