1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

99 MIM P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XXL, Jul 19, 2007.

1. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    So I have this 99 P bass and it basically needs a new bridge. I was wondering if anyone had tried other direct replacements, than a BAII or a fender bridge.. Is Gotoh a direct replacement? Id want something of a higher mass than the standard bridge, but having a direct replacement is what im really after..and price is a factor.

also on a side note... is the wood on a 99-00 MIM Pbass poplar?

XXL

2. Yes, the Gotoh 201 is a direct replacement and works very well. Ive had it on two basses so far.

3. XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    hmmm...so whats the diff between a Wilkinson and a Gotoh besides a price difference of 10 to 15 dollars..?

4. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I put a Gotoh 201 on a 90 MIJ Jazz and BAII on a 2000 MIM P Bass. Both were direct replacements and both were very good upgrades. I think I prefer the Gotoh.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Gotoh 210 on 2001 MIM P-bass, very good ,direct replacement, except I had to shim the neck up because the Gotoh was "taller " then the stock. 3 thin sheets of sandpaper 3/4" deep in the back of the neck pocket did the trick.

6. XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    thanks for all the bridge info..im going with the Gotoh.. but im really curious about this rumor that i heard .. that the 90s MIM body wood was poplar?? is that true and if so did it continue into 99?