Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

99' PLX 2402

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamarjones, Nov 27, 2002.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am about to get a 99 plx 2402. I was just wondering if anyone has heard about the reliability on these things. I know I have heard stright good things about them, but is 99 one of the earlier models? Do any of you know if they are easy to service?

Thanks.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Can you tell us what you mean by "99"?

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    1999, so the guy says. I asked him if it had any years left on the warranty, and I guess the answer is no. Said it works great, has been put to mild to little use. But I would be changing that....

I was hoping you would show :)

4. The first 4 digits are the year and month of manufacture. The transferrable warranty is good for 3 years from this date. Bob Lee, please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

As for reliability, I have 3 PLX, and a former MX model. All work 100% and are very well made.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    PLX built before July 1999 were made using ribbon cables from a supplier whom we had real problems with. Their ribbon cables had a strange tendency to fail after some time--you might lose a channel, or some gain, or it would be intermittant, and so on.

The fix is to replace the ribbon cables, and we've been doing that free of charge even for amps outside of their original warranty period. Because of the desoldering involved, even a service center might not want to tackle the job.

If the amp was made in or after July 1999, or before July 1999 and has already had the better ribbon cables put in, then you should be fine. If not, then you should get the amp updated. What country are you in, lamarjones?

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Good ol USA.

Thanks bob. Wehn I get it, I'll check the date. If it looks like it might have the old cables, I'l holler at you, and you cn tell me how to deal with it. thanks, sounds like I am in good hands regardless.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yes, when you get it, send me an e-mail or call me (1-800 QSC AUDIO) with the serial number. I can look up in our database to see if we've updated that particular one.

If we haven't and it is one that needs updating, I'll give you a Return Authorization (RA) and send you an ARS label that will cover shipping in to the factory via UPS at our expense. We'll update the amp (turnaround is about 1 to 2 days) and send it back out to you, and it should serve you well for some time to come.

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Bob,

I don't want to sound redundant, but both you and the gang at QSC are a CLASS ACT! Thanks for being such caring members of the community.

Kim

9. Ditto

10. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The serial numbers are

There is two of them, and he is going to send me one of them. If what was true earleir about the serial number, this sounds like a 2000 model. I could be wrong, but I guess things would be so much better if it were true.....

Bob i'll try and email you, or give a call to the number you posted.

Thanks! What the two gentlemen said above is definately true.

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Another vote for excelent reliability. Does anybody here know how good their customer service is, I don't remember anybody needing service. Even if I get something else I'll be keeping the QSC, it's simply that good. Then there's Bob Lee. What more could you want.

12. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If anyone wants to check the time, I recieved Bobs response a little over an hour ago.

If there is more reason to buy QSC than just a gret product, its the damn good service. Thanks bro!

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've got 2 PLX's and seriously contemplating a third. This one will go into my PA so it's got to be the 3002.

14. i just purchased a PLX 3002 based on both service and their excellent reputation for reliability. Seeing Bob Lee helping out around the boards was also a factor. So, thanks Bob!

15. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'm planning on buying a power amp this month; it was down to the Carvin 1000 and QSC RMX 1450.

You just sold a 1450.

16. I've got a pair of 3002 and a 1202. Wonderful gear.

17. Those filter cut-off switches are a major plus for us DBX 120XP users I'd say. Engage that 30hz roll-off for subharmonic piece o' mind.
    What the heck in your rig BGavin goes down to 25Hz?? Ever tried an Alembic SF-2 for low end extension (not that you'd need it.) My DBX fills out my lower fundamentals in such a musical way, can hardly wait to try it with my new PLX 3002 into a dedicated subwoofer; watch out!