Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9th Annual Hawaiian Music Awards

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DemoEtc, Jan 17, 2006.

1. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
  2. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Geeve em brah! I'm a member of local 677,are you?
    vote category 17 for Bass Etude by Nathan Aweau-brudda plays da 7 string

3. You got my vote, Demo; I love both your cd's. Good luck.

Andy
    (from Charlie's group)

4. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Hey thanks! Nope not a member. Was though, back in...1980 or so. I think my membership has run out by now, lol.

Mahalo again!

5. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Hey, there you are! I just could NOT remember your handle! Did those half-rounds arrive yet?

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    well I voted for you and Sonya and the guys in Don Ho's band and Danny Couch.Thanks for posting and reminding everyone about the awards.

7. i voted for you too...and many others :D HA!

8. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Great! Have to 'keep it alive' you know?

9. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Thanks for the support!

Best regards

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I just noticed in the Reggae category...
    Pakalolo by T.H.C. & Friends, haha.

that's cool that Jake Shimabukuro is nominated in the Rock category - guy shreds on that uke.

11. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Yes he certainly does! Plays with Noel Okimoto too - another great Island musician.

(Hey, you don't offhand know what band Noel was in before UH? It was some jazz-rock Chick Corea type thing, I think with Benny Rietveld on bass. Keyboardist was Carl Something and I think Allen Won was also in the band.)

Thanks again everyone :)

12. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Noel and i used to be in the house band at the Sheraton Waikiki (1984) with Jan Brenner. I saw Benny in 1997 or so and I haven't seen Alan since before he moved to S.F. . They had a band for a bit called "The Outakes"or "Out-takes".
    I think Noel and Brian Kessler and Steve Jones were touring with Jake.

Noel won a Hoku for his jazz CD in 2004,I think. That's the last time I saw him ,playing with Bruce Hamada and Jim Howard.
    Does anyone know where David Inamine is?

13. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Jan wasn't the singer for Ox, right? I forget who Ox became, but I think they're still jazz-rocking it somewhere. :)

I remember hearing something about the Out-takes, but...seems I heard of an earlier band, when they were still in highschool sort of thing. I wanna say it was "Music Magic" but it wasn't.

(for anyone listening, always keep a journal, lol)

I remember seeing Noel's senior (I think) recital at UH Manoa Music Department. He was doing Captain Senor Mouse on the vibes and the guy was absolutely scary! Real nice, quiet dude too. But here I was thinking, 'Aw the guy's *just* a drummer..." you know? And then there he is doing all this Gary Burton stuff!

Jaw fell on the floor lol.

But sorry, don't know anything about David Inamine or his whereabouts.

Best

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Haven't seen Inamine in years. I go to Vegas a couple of times a year, and heard that he was performing there with Charo a few years back. never got to see him though. After the show closed down, I heard that he stayed in town. So, you might find him holding down another show gig and playing in the after hours jazz joints.

Good luck to all Hawaii Music Awards hopefuls!

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Jan usually fronted her own top 40 pop / country band. Ox was a very progressive Hawaii based jazz band that was later picked up by CTI records; they then renamed themselves Seawind.

16. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Seawind! I just couldn't remember. I saw them as Ox when they were in some small little club, around '77 or so if I remember.

Anyhow, thanks for the memory-jog.

Mahalo :)

17. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Music Magic was Jay Molina on Bass,Darryl Bluen on Drums, Al Pasqua on Keys and I foget da geetah playah

18. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Sea Wind was Pauline Wilson and Kenny Wild on Bass

19. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Yeah Jan was working wirh Madeline Kahn and Ron Benbenick.I was in her band (Good Time Band)at the "Oahu Bar " during 1983-84 with Noel,Pat Demain on Keys ,and before Noel our the Drumme was Phil Bennetr fron Nueva Vida.Alan Leong,Dayton on Bass ,Robert Shinota on Guitar.
    Sea Wind's Pauline went by a name like E'hukai or something.Ken Wild on Bass.

20. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    That's some pretty impressive company you've kept.

I was just trying to think of the band that had Benny on bass, Carl on keys and Alan Won (I think) on sax and then Noel on drums.

Anyhow, thanks for all the memory jogs guys!