9v-18v

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ilansgroove, Nov 21, 2015.

1. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    so, when they say that you can use either 9v or 18v on a pedal (for example the cali76 compact bass)
    Will I have any benefit using 12v?

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. In my experience, it's like this: If the manufacturer does not specify the benefit or effect of incremental voltages between the min and max, then
    1. you can be assured only of safe and useful operation of the device ranging from the min to the max voltages, and

2. you will have the opportunity to try incremental voltages within the safe range, and decide which you like better, if any, and

3. the result of 2 will vary per device.
    For example, in my recent test of an NOS Tri-Logic Preamp ver. 1, I did hear the difference between 9, 12, and 18 volts, then chose the one I liked best.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Well, since 18v is like turning it up to 11, 12v is 7-1/3 so you're still in danger of underpowering your rig and having it get sucked into a black hole :nailbiting:.

I recently switched my EMG pickups/pre to single battery operation as I never boost the low end anyways - sounds the same to me and now I can store a spare battery in the second compartment :cool:.

ProfFrink likes this.
  4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Since it can take a range of voltage, it is probably regulated inside to a lower voltage anyway, so likely no difference.

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Actually not true in general - for instance on the EMG stuff it increases the maximum output swing before clipping. On distortion/OD pedals it can increase how hard the distortion/OD elements are driven and give you a different sound.

mbelue and blindrabbit like this.
  6. ckhalleran

ckhalleran

Jan 27, 2007
    I had emailed Origins Effects, asking if it was OK to run the Cali76CB at 15vdc instead of 18vdc (as I was moving it to a different board). They replied same day, saying no problem with that. It was my understanding that it would have more headroom at 15vdc (or 12vdc) than at 9vdc. So if you're pushing it hard at 9vdc and getting distortion, then maybe 12vdc will not clip.

RoadRanger likes this.
  7. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    thanks....

8. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    I'm using a Godlyke IP-1 Iso Pump voltage converter into a One Spot with my Cali76 CB. However, I'm noticing a mild screeching noise coming from the pedal when I have the pedal off (using the Godlyke at 18v). When I have the pedal engaged, the noise goes away. Could it be the One Spot that is causing this noise?

Thanks

9. Hi,

Here's a thread trying to show some examples of how pedals sound different at 9, 12 and 18V. Perhaps that can give you some insight.
    9V vs. 12V vs. 18V - Sample thread

Cheers,
    Kalle

10. P A U L

P A U L

Oct 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    yes, more current going through the unit (up to the max) will give it more headroom. This is also the same when something runs on phantom power (48v) vs using a battery. If you use something that takes a 9v battery & runs on 48v phantom power, it's always best to run phantom power if possible, because you'll get more headroom. This goes for condensor mic's, speaker emulators, & other effects...
    great thread. I didn't listen to all the examples (only the Xotic), it showed a difference between 9 & 12v, but I didn't hear much between 12 & 18, but, that's good to know, that on some things you might hear a difference, some not, & that some, anything over 9 is better. I didn't really give it a good listen though, because my ears are kind of plugged & I have a sort of ringing, so subtle nuances aren't in for consideration right now. Definitely a must to revisit. I'm not a big effects guy, but, I'm not anti & am an audio/tech buff, so...

karla684 likes this.
  11. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Entirely possible that it's the iso-pump. I was running an MXR 117 Flanger, which is 18V, off a onespot by means of an iso-pump, and with the flanger off, there was a distinct "....mew.........mew.........mew....." sound coming through the amp, as the LFO was still apparently putting *something* out, made audible by the voltage conversion or something. Switched to the flanger's native 18V power and no more noise issue.

12. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    Yeah I have a feeling it's the iso-pump. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'll probably end up running the Cali76 at 9v...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021