Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

9V Adaptor for EBS Bass IQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 20, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just got an EBS Bass IQ from a fellow TB'er and I was wondering if I can just use any 9V adaptor with it, or if I have to buy one specifically for this pedal. I have a 9V adaptor from a Zoom drum machine that I tried using with it, but when I do it gives a loud buzzing noise.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have mine plugged into my 1-Spot, so i think a regular adapter should be fine.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, any boss type psu will work

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I don't know why but all my ebs pedals are picky as hell about 9v adapters. I've managed to accumlate a stack of the things over the years and the _only_ one I have that doesn't hum/buzz is a 500mA ashdown made in china. The 1amp ashdown I have buzzes like mad so who knows.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This pedal is picky about power supplies. 500ma seems to be the magic even if it's on a board with other pedals. Unfortunately, mine got an IC fried from using the wrong power supply.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I guess I'll just have to get an AD-9 from either Bass Central or some other place I might be able to find it online.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I don't have a Bass IQ but I do have the UniChorus, and the 1-Spot adapter works great. I got my 1-Spot at a local shop down the street for $20.

8. could be a 9VAC adapter, the EBS needs 9VDC. Any adapter that will power a boss pedal will power the EBS stuff as well.

However, I find my EBS pedals are very sensitive to supply ripple. You need something that's really, really well filtered and regulated for best results.