1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

9v batteries committing suicide on a Cirrus BXP.....film at 11.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_lord_mutha, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Ok, but seriously, before the inevitable smart-alec badmouthing of Peavey BXP anything starts, this is a pretty interesting situation. A coworker of mine acquired a used Peavey Cirrus BXP bass around the beginning of the year, and last week he calls me up and says that the 9v batteries for the preamp are literally blowing their coils out through the bottom of the batteries. He's changed batteries multiple times thinking it was just faulty batteries but still has the same problem. I haven't seen the bass yet (we work in different cities for the same company) and haven't contacted Peavey about this, but have any of you here had experience with 9v batteries simply blowing up? I remember checking this bass out before he bought it and it worked just fine and he's never had the electronics worked on, so is it possible that some component in the preamp section failed that would maybe cause the batteries to overheat themselfes to a catastrophic failure?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

9v batts are actually composed of 6 button cells (thick, hearing aid type batteries) stacked in 2 rows within the steel case. Unusual for them to expand and pop the lid! Tell him to put another one in and touch it feeling for heat. If it gets hot, and it will quickly, he has a dead short and it needs servicing.

BXP, sheesh, what a pile o' cr.....! :D

3. Cool, will do. Thanks!

4. VicKevlar

VicKevlar

Apr 15, 2012
    That's odd, the one's I pulled apart as a kid had 6 AAAA (quadruple-A) batteries standing together, like this.

But yeah, sounds like a short which should heat up the battery pretty quickly.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Oh, you're right. It's been so long since I pulled one apart. Don't know why I remembered them as buttons.

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Since they blow up so quickly, it's most likely the battery connector is the one with a short, so just swapping that'd work. If not, then the preamp itself has to be checked as there might be debris on the board causing a short.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Someone needs to connect an ammeter or light bulb in series with the battery holder. This will show that a problem exists and if the bulb is used, it will allow a longer time for troubleshooting. It could be the battery holder, too. They take a lot of abuse when the battery is being changed in some cases.