1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

9V for a 2013-ish Fender Am. Dlx. Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blixild, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    I have a preamp from a 2013-ish (i.e. the newer ones with the passive tone control) American Deluxe Jazz Bass that I'd like to install in my Fender MB-5. The preamp has two battery leads, but can these preamps be run on only 9V, or do they require the full 18V?

I ask because the MB-5 has a small body, and I'd prefer to only rout out one battery cavity if possible. It's already going to be tight to get all of the components in as is, so I definitely can't squeeze one in the existing control cavity. I realize a different pre would probably be a better choice, but I have this one already so I'd like to see if I can make it work.

2. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I don't know the definitive answer to this, but it should be easy enough to temporarily install the preamp and try it with the single 9V battery. I use alligator clips to make connections and with the preamp outside of the body. Afterwards, you can tap on the pickup poles pieces to see if it works. It could be that the preamp is designed for either two batteries wired in parallel for 9V operation or in series for 18V operation.

If it makes signal, that's great. However, I also think that if the preamp was designed for 18V, then it will not operate properly, sound right, have enough headroom with the 9V. I have installed Nord, Audere, and Bartolini, and Aguilar preamps and all of them were capable of operating properly on either 9V or 18V volts.

This is the quick and dirty answer. Hopefully, someone way more experienced can elaborate with better details.

3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I need to find this out too, so bumping old thread while searching for others. Just bought a newer Deluxe pre to replace the pre in my 1998 fretless. I forgot that it’s 18V and my current bass is 9V. Before I install and test, does anyone know if the newer Americans deluxe preamps run ok at 9V?

I can fit 2 batteries if I dremel a little but I don’t want to.