9v to USB converter

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Aloe, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Hi,

The thing I'm missing right now on my pedalboard is an USB port I can power from my 9v 450mA power supply.

I know, the Bright Switch exists, but ideally would like a more simple pedal, i.e. without a footswitch, just with one or two USB outputs (I need 5v 1A from one output, other one is optional). Also not sure how the Bright Switch will perform with a 450mA 9v power -- will it give me 1A in the always-on port?

Around the net there are posts like "DIY" and different experiences from people who did it, so the result really ends up to specific components.

Any other alternatives around? Just to sum in up: I need a converter that accepts 9v 450mA and outputs 5v 1A on USB port.

Thanks

2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Technically, can't be done. 450mA at 9v is 4.05 watts. 1A at 5v is 5 watts. You don't have enough power available, and that doesn't take into account conversion losses.

Aloe likes this.
  3. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    thanks. but I can use a Y cable for joining two isolated outputs on my power supply. I actually have two 450mA outlets available, so in that case that could be 8W. in that case (9V 900mA) such a thing exists?

4. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Don't know of any actual converters that will do the job, I'm just here to do the math. ;)

But you need AC for the power supply anyway, so how about one of those AC adapters similar to this, but for European power, of course.

5. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    thanks anyway, this really helped me in my expectations.
    actually I have a USB AC adapter (I use it for my wireless). and have an isolated pedal power supply for my pedals.

my actual goal is to make it simpler and somehow connect the USB-powered wireless to my pedalbord power supply, avoiding using the second cord from electric outlet to my pedalboard.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Edit: I see now that you are in Ukraine and this device may not work for you.

Maybe a similar device exists with your voltages/blade patterns.

IMG_1015.PNG

7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    You know, you'd think some of these power supply manufacturers would have thought of this already (adding a 5v USB port along with the 9, 12, and 18v outputs). Give it a couple of years and you'll probably see some — if there isn't already one that I don't know about.

8. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I use a ravpower battery pack from amazon and a birdsong 9v to usb converter, powers five pedals no problem

9. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    That appears to be a 5v USB to 9v converter. OP wants a 9v pedal-power plug to 5v USB.

Aloe likes this.
  10. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I don't quite understand how this device could help me. adding outlets and USB directly to my pedalboard? uhm, my power supply (ISO-Brick) has a quite long cord with a 18v/2A transformer at the plug, so my initial idea was to use that cord and somehow connect my USB device to my pedalboard power supply outlets.

however, it seems like for this setup I need both the Bright Switch and a double-current cable connecting two outputs, so it seems like a more messy and complex setup than I have with 2 cables to AC from my pedalboard, so I'd better leave everything as is. or upgrade to wireless than can directly utilize my pedal board power.

11. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    this actually was my problem of googling existing adapters. when I'm trying to find step-down 9v to USB adapters, Google shows me a lot of step-up 5v to 9v adapters and nothing more.

I have a RockBoard LT XL powerbank that has both 9v and USB outputs and I use it for my tiny pedalboard and short gigs. but for my big board I need 12v as well and I don't really trust the battery-powered power supply to last long.

maybe better power supplies will chime in someday, but as for now I think that the easiest way is just to upgrade the wireless to that one that uses standard pedalboard supply. or just leave two cords running from it, that's even easier.

12. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Well, that Bright Switch seems like the easy solution, so the question is, do you really need the full 1A from the USB port? I take it it is your wireless receiver using the 5v?

13. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    yup, the Line 6 G10 receiver is stated to run at 5v 1A (and on Line6 forums people say not to use lower current for it).

14. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    In that case, that brings me back to original suggestion, something like this adapter. You may not need this exact one (I use one of these to power my Tascam GB-10) , but you need AC to power the power supply anyway, so might as well plug this in, too. Otherwise it's plug in the extra power brick for the Bright Switch, too.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other?

15. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The reason I thought it was useful is this post:

Using a similar device to the one I posted, a single extension cord could be run to the pedal board. This device would then energize both your power block and your USB, leaving the coveted second outlet at the wall free for other use.

16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
  17. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
  18. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    guys, I actually need not to plug in a 9v pedal to USB powerbank, but to plug a USB-powered device into a 9v power supply. will that adapter work like that?

19. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I would think the output should be 5v the other way

20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You have what you need but don't like the idea of using two power cords? Mount two receptacles onto your board, plug you present power into that and run a new power line from the two receptacles for power, Really you are just mounting an extension cord permanently to your board.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022