1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A 1212/5 stack?? Maybe so.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by will33, Jan 16, 2012.

1. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Searching through a bunch of various 6's looking for a mid upgrade for my 12/6 + 12only shortstack and stumbled across this:

Faital Pro 10FH500 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10FH500 mid-bass, bass guitar speaker and subwoofer 10" speaker that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 10FH500 1,200 watt 10" efficiency of 96dB SPL woofer for all high power bass application

It certainly plays loud enough, the little 2.5khz dip may translate into not being too twangy for some folks, and off axis response would be a small improvement over a 6. The 5" to 6" difference doesn't sound like much but it might be just enough to fit this in place of the tweeter in some of you guys woofer + tweet cabs who find yourselves turning the tweeters down/off due to harsh sound. It's listed as a 12 ohm driver as DCR is 7.2 but that's not really that far off from some drivers listed as 8ohms, it just means a little tweak of filter part values. A "salad bowl" subchamber would complete the mod. Response runs high enough to appease slappers but not too high as to upset you OD/grit/distortion guys.

Anyway, pretty impressive little 5" mid that's high in the running for my little, loud rig.

Edit: I don't know why the link looks like that but it'll take you to the right place, the Faital Pro M5N12-80.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It won't take nough juice.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Above a typical 1khz or so crossover freq.? It won't see much juice.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Depends on how much dirt you use but I wouldn't be comfortable asking that thing to run unpadded with two high quality 12's.

When you think of the 6nd410's 180w AES rating, remember that it's padded back almost 3db in Greenboy's crossover which makes it more like 300+w.

By comparison this thing is..80w.

Maybe if you did the crossover up around 1500-1800hz I guess.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    With a lot of OD, yeah, there's a point to be had there. My own needs aren't that dirty. Tbe mids I've used are between 50 and 100 watts with no issues.......yes, 50.:p. Of course, I'm biamping so more control there.