1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A $200 USED SX, only at GC!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjpollo, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    SoI went to my local GC looking for the Blacktop and Modern Player Fenders to try out...they didnt have any Blacktops and one Modern Player Jazz with a large chip out of the finish on the bottom.

But I digress- I was looking at the budget and used stuff and this vintage green Jazz caught my eye- it had pickup covers and it looked pretty good. Then I saw the headstock and it was the older style SX model.
    Then I saw the pricetag- $199:confused:

Granted it was the old headstock but still, a USED SX!! I just checked Rondo's site and a brandnew Ursa Jazz in what they call Vintage Green with a blocked neck is going for $169!!!

Unless there were some really expensive upgrades to the pickups and bridge that I couldnt see under the covers there's no way that price will work.

But then again- this is the same GC thats trying to sell an Epi Tbird Pro 4 string for $599 which is what a 5er goes for.

2. This is funny -- the pre-Ursa headstock drives up the price for used SX bass guitars.

3. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    "Only at GC"?
    You dont spend much time on Graigslist or eBay.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  5. Not to totally hijack the thread, but Rondo currently has some old-style necks listed in their parts section. Maple f/board, white binding and block inlays, $39 each. Problem is they're all left handed. Guess you could flip the nut and run it as a reverse maybe...

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That would look cool. Very Dusty Hill.

7. lobster57

lobster57

May 7, 2009
    Victoria, BC
    How much work to make an SX neck fit a Warmoth T-bird body?

8. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The case is probably extra.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Are you serious?...a used sx bass for $200 at guitar center? that cost a lot more than how much sx bass are brand new. there is no way that guitar center would sell a used sx bass at that price. this reminds of the time I saw an ad on a dean ml metalman bass on craig's list and the seller was asking for $250 for that bass when many music stores sells these basses brand new for $200. it also reminds me of the time my brother found a teisco del ray bass for $800 at chicago music exchange. of course, everyone would know that teisco basses are actually really cheap(like $100-$150). seriously, why do music stores try to sell cheap instruments at ridiculous prices? there's no way that they are gonna sell these instruments at those prices. you'd be better off buying sx basses at rondo music. they cost $100 brand new. here's the link to rondo music.

Rondo Music Home Page

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
  11. Boone3882

Boone3882

Aug 27, 2008
    Is this the GC in orange,ct? They had that SX & modern player jazz with the chip in it...sunburst I believe.

12. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I dont get this at all....why is it laughable? It was a good looking bass...old headstock, blocks on the neck, and that interesting green color (not my bag, but I understand some people liked it a lot)...if someone wanted that particular bass bad enough, I dont see $282 as ridiculous ...its not like you can go on the Rondo website and still buy that particular bass... many of their short scale basses with the old headstock have sold for about that much on Ebay as well. Just because a bass appreciates in value? I guess no ones ever seen THAT before...lol.
    I have about 7 SX basses...and if there was one out there that I wanted bad enough, I wouldnt have any problem paying that much for one, as I think they are well worth it.
    And please dont sing me that song about :"you can get a Squier or a MIM Fender for that price" ...been there, sold the t-shirt. :rollno:

13. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    YUP- thats the one!!

This store is just so inconsistent it isnt funny. While they want $199 for the SX and they have the Epi T-Bird Pro priced wrong, they discounted the MP Jazz down to like $370 because of the chip on the back. Granted the chip is deep enough to expose the body wood, but I think that discounted price is really good and if I had the $$, that one would've gone home with me.

And anyway, responding to another post here- I do fully understand that an instrument can appreciate in value, it just doesnt compute to me when its an SX.
    And I'm NOT an SX hater- I own one and I use it regularly. They are great values at their regular prices. And like I said, that green one MIGHT have upgraded pickups or bridge, IDK because it has the pickup covers on it. If someone dropped Duncans or other better pickups in there, then fine.
    But if its strictly stock, then I think their price is crazy. I would just order a brand-new one and save myself about $30-40. I dont care about the headstock shape- the shape of the headstock doesnt affect how the bass plays.

14. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Good thing I didn't have a swig in my mouth, or I'd might have lost it on the keyboard.
    GC, you've got a new guy putting price tags out, or not?

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Does it really? I didnt think a used SX would bring in half of what I paid for it, being that theyre so cheap to buy new. I get that people like the old style headstocks better, but enough to pay 150%+ of the cost of a new one?

Anyone want to buy a Lake Placid Blue Fretless SX with old style headstock? :D

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Lots of people seem to really care about the headstock. I'll bet if you look on eBay you'll see the same inflated pricing. That's usually what GC bases their used pricing on. Kind of like people paying $800 for a deep impact that sold for $250 brand new.

17. Hehe... Just had a thought. I wonder in 20-30 years, will people actively seek vintage-2012 & earlier SX instruments?

18. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

You might be surprised ;)

And as for the headstock making THAT much difference, it definitely does...to some of us:D

19. I know a headstock is a headstock, but the old SX headstocks, excluding the weird fish-hook ones, made the bass sound somewhat custom made (which it is not) but the odd finishes here and there have that impression.

With the new URSA glad headstock, the image is now clear, it's a cheap copy of a Fender.

20. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I just checked with Kurt and they do not have any SX Jazz necks availabe at this time. From the man himself:
    SX is not great with supplying parts like this

We get them in from time to time, but do not have any available currently.

kurt

I'm looking for an SX Jazz Bass Fretless neck