Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a 2x10 vs a 1x18...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kyo, Jul 8, 2004.

1. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    well as previously noted i have a new 1x15 cab. i was wondering what kind of sound i would get by adding a 1x18?

normally, i know the balanced thing to do is to add a 2 or 4x10. but i play metal, and so i'm guessing i'm eventually going to have to downtune...i only play 4 strings, but still, we might go to C.

so, how would each cab modify my sound, generally? and which do you recommend?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The bigger the speaker (and the more of them there are), the more air it/they move(s), and the 'less' definition the sound has. IMO, if you played through a 1x15 AND a 1x18 it would just be a wall of low end, and so much mud that you couldnt define what notes your playing.

Like i just said in another thread, add a 4x10 to that 1x15 and your tone will kick ass.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have an Eden 1x18XL. You can use it as a stand-alone cab-you just need a ton of power (500 watts+) to get definition.

I would get a 4X10 in your case-many 4X10's go real low and they punch for that metallic sound.

5. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    So with a good 1 x 15...how would something like a
    bergantino 2 x 10 go with it?

6. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    So with a good 1 x 15...how would something like a
    bergantino 2 x 10 go with it?

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on the speaker cab and what's pushing it.

Here's an analogy - A 255 badass in football may be able to knock the livin' daylights out of a 330 lb. slob.

8. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    hehe. thats a good way to think about it.

thanks for the advice guys

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Definitely depends on the speakers. For example my Bergantino 115 is way more defined than my Ampeg 410 HLF. The 410 has a lot more bottom though. In general I think you will find that adding a 118 to a 115 will give you a new level of fullness and less definition and adding a 210 will give more punch and distinction to the notes. Generally...

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    IMO that would be cool.

11. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Right now my stage rig consists of 2 Bag End S-15Ds with one SWR Big Ben 1x18 running at about 1500 watts. It's hellacious. :cool: