Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A 3K Fender?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played these @ last year's NAMM show. It's a VERY nice bass, but 3 grand?!

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    P-J fiver!! :eek:

never seen one like that

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here's the 4.

4. They look nice, not 3 grand nice. The 3 grand was probobly List price though, and we all know no one charges list price.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ain't not no (that's right: TRIPLE negative :D) Fender worth 3K. I don't care how you slice it.

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    3k,i think not.I really like it,its exactly the color i want for my MIM jazz,although i cant get it in that sunburst tone:( oh well,theres always other colors.

7. p0w3rman5ooo

p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Man, thats the bass I want. He's got it right. P+J in a Jazz body WITH white block inlays, what taste.

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    white block inlays....mmmmmm......yummy.....that is the greatest looking bass ever,IMO.but...can it perform good,does it sound good,that is where the answer lies.oh its so perfect,what does sound matter!:rolleyes: .Well i gotta play max payne and sleep,good-bye!:rolleyes:

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    That better be pure gold connecting all the electronics, woods imported from a remote island accesable only by small water craft, and hand made for it to be worth $3k.

10. I happen to particulary like that qoute John.

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, it is a custom shop bass so the 3299 list isnt that out of line because it is handmade.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

narud, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Fender Custom Shop instruments are boutique, both in price and quality. $3000+ is actually not a bad price for a high end 5 string. And keep in mind that is the list price. I'm sure that you could get at least a couple of hundred off.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    boutique or not i think that it's a little bit too much. i know that what's on the headstock still makes prices higher. but the bass in this picture is a killer 4 string pj and it will cost a LOT less:

[​IMG]

courtesy of master luthier Ruggero.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    $3200 list=$2000-2200 in store price. If it plays great & sounds great & you like it, it's well worth it. If you think it sounds bas & plays bad, it's overpriced. I personally dislike a P pickup on a Jazz body. I have played a few Fender Custom Shop basses & I have to say they were AWESOME!!!!!!!

15. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I just think it's funny that now Fender is making Sadowsky copies. He (and Lull and whoever else) found a niche market for an improved (YMMV) version of their product, particularly for fivers, and Fender is obviously trying to shut it down. Pretty smart, when you think about. I'll think I'll keep my Fender knock-off though. ;)

16. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    IMO, a Sadowsky is a 3k Fender bass.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Chicken or the egg?;)

IMO the MIA JD5 were takeoffs on Sadowskys 5 string version of a Fender Jazz. I've had an opportunity to spend a little time with an upper end Jazz V now and I'd put it in the same space as the boutique Jazzes I've played.

Given that, I don't think Fender wants or needs to shut Sadowsky down. Sadowskys niche only helps to justify Fender's Custom Shop basses... and their price.

Anyone who's willing to spend $3k+ for a Sadowsky but not $2200 on a comparable Fender... is entitled to do that;)

18. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    It ain't always about the $...;)

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's true.. in either direction, more or less;)

20. Most of you are arguing that the company who basically invented the instrument couldn't make one worth 3000$.
    I mean maybe i shouldn't talk, I don't have that much experience (none actually) playing top end stuff. Don't want to ask to plug in a 2K bass and then screw up my scales in the middle of a store, embarrassing enough to do it at practice :D

But what would keep a company with 50 years of experience from making the "Best Bass in the World" If they wanted to, aside from cost. I mean I am sure if they felt they could sell a 50,000$ Bass they would build one.

Just musing.