Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a 410 & a 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metallkasten, Apr 16, 2003.

1. I would assume that because they are both 8 ohms, the 210, although recieving more power per speaker, would be quieter than the 410. Which would sound louder? Another question, which should go on top?

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    all things considered, I would think the 4x10 will sound louder because of the cab size and pushing more air. most would put the 2x10 on top. I like the rig---all 10s! gotta sound good and punchy!
    :D

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    If the speakers are identical, just different ohm loads, then the 4x10 would sound better and distort less, and will get louder because the 2x10 will run out of steam long before it does. Also, because of cone area, you gain 6 dB for the first doubling of speakers. At least that is how I remember it. You only gain 3 dB for doubling your power, which is really what the 2x10 will be seeing. If the 4x10 was 4 ohm, it would be a well distributed system, if the amp could handle it.
    Wes

4. Theoretically they should both be as loud. The 4x10 gets a 3db boost for having twice as much speakers, the 2x10 would get a 3db boost for getting twice as much power. So theoretically the 2x10 is best because of the better portability. BUT that's theoretically. Practically, the speaker's effectivity will not always increase equally with the power-increments(when driving the 2x10 at, say, 500 watt, the speakers will create more heat than the 4x10 at 500 watt thus wasting more energy)

5. My amp can't handle 2.62 (correct me if i'm wrong) ohms. But yeah, hooray for all 10s :D

6. wow crazyness, with that kinda thing u need to get the 2 running at 4 ohms and the 4 running at 8 ohms. Obvious? wasnt to me when i got my PV 2X10 to go with my PV 4X10. But the guys in the bass centre stopped my just in time and switched the 2X10 to 4 ohms, by messing with the wires somehow??? i dunno.