Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A 440

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by oldsaw, Aug 31, 2001.

1. I don't think that I have ever seen this question asked here.
    Which countries tune A 440 and which tune A 445.

I understand that some European orchestras tune A 445, but which ones. Does this include Mediteranian orchestras such as Italy and Greece? Which tuning does the UK use?

Mark

2. I'm not aware of differences by country. I thought it was just anywhere you had fussy, self-absorbed violinists.

3. nickchalk

nickchalk

Jan 30, 2001
    don's right. it depends on the orchestra or artistic director or violinists not on the country. maybe some european countries tend to tune sharper but there are no rules by country. most of the time it's 442 though. 445 is really sharp. here in montreal the mso tunes to 442.

4. And speaking of violinsts, let's clear up one thing right now. There is NO DIFFERENCE in size between a violin and a viola. It's an optical illusion.
    Violinists have big heads.

5. nickchalk

nickchalk

Jan 30, 2001
    and are bass players midget cellists?

6. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    No not at all, Cellos are smaller than bassists. But Cellists are fatter. It's all that sitting in chairs and carrying wimpy little instruments.

-dh