A 5 with a high C instead of low B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infamous_MB, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    Hi, this is my first post. Many of you seem to be very knowledgable about basses, I myself have been playing for 4 years, but there is still much I have not learned.

My question is...does any vendor make a 5 string bass with a high C instead of low B? The idea of having an extra high string for added melody really intrigues me.

Second question: I already have an ESP B305 (awesome bass), how could I go about modding it to become a 5 string with a high C?
  2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    You could probably replace the nut and it would be fine.

As for manufacturers, I'm not sure on that one. Perhaps someone else on here can help with that one.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I believe that Carvin offers this as an option, but am not positive.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I don't know.. you might be able to order it. I have never seen a bass strung e to c in a store though.. A bassist here bought a yamaha 5-string and strung it EADGC and It works fine. I don't think he replacedthe nut either... but I might be wrong.. it seems that you will definately have to change the nut
  5. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    I own a warwick corvette fiver and I just removed the B string, moved the other strings up and put a .25 string at the bottom. It works fine with me, all I had to do was to intonate the bass after the string change.
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I tried it with one of my 5's for a bit. Just set it up e,a,d,g,c and see if it works. It may be fine without replacing the nut.
  7. BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    In 1965 Fender came out with the Bass V, the additional string was a high C, It was not popular and was gone by 1971. I guess that Bassists prefer to go lower than higher. When the 5 string basses came back and sold well with the B, The Manufactures weren’t interested is repeating what they must see as the mistake of the original Bass V!
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It also only had 15 frets. Wasn't designed to add range--just to make it easier to play in one position.

I had my US Curbow 5 strung up with a high C for a couple of years. The easiest thing to do is go to www.juststrings.com and order a 4 string set, and then a single high C string. You'll probably have to adjust the intonation, and perhaps the truss rod.

You may also have to get a new nut put on, but try it with your current one first.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Shouldn't be very hard to modify an existing bass... it would probably require a new nut and truss rod and bridge adjustment. Fodera makes basses set up like this. Matt Garrison's bass is strung this way. What's your budget?
  10. I was just gonna suggest Matt's solo CD for him to hear what (maybe EVERYthing) that can be done on a 5 with a high C. www.garrisonjazz.com

Matt also uses a hisphot detuner on his E string to get a low B.
  11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Simply buy a high C single string move the E,A,D and G string over and add the high C on the end. You'll need to adjust action, relief and intonation for every string. As for the nut, every 5 I've done this to, didn't need a new nut, but if you have a problem, you can always take it to someone to cut a new nut.
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    True dat. I got lucky with my bass, and didn't have to change the nut. The high C wasn't very useful, though, and I found myself pining for the B, especially in tunes that are down a half step or more. It was sure fun, though.