A ? about the Infinity.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jun 11, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Alright so i just bought it yesterday. I know some manucfacturers (wal, warwick etc.) make push/pull knobs for pick attack or whatever. well the infinity's volume and stacked bass/treble knob both push/pull. i didnt read anything about the bass being able to do that. is it supposed to be that way and make the pick attack? or is it broken? thanks
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    "Pick attack" is strictly a Wal thing.

The online manual from the Warwick site indicates that the Infinity has a Seymour Duncan preamp, and this is what is says about the controls:

"Pulling the volume knob will activate the slap contour EQ curve on the Seymour Duncan Basslines preamp. This curve will boost the bass frequencies and high frequencies while slightly cutting the mid frequencies....

Pulling the treble knob will coil tab the bridge pickup."

I don't know if your Infinity has the Basslines preamp or not. If it doesn't, I'd guess the two pull-up switches are active/passive (on the volume) and coil tap (on the treble).

3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    push-pull on the volume = active passive
    push-pull on the bass/treble = coil tap

enjoy the new bass :D :D :D
  4. Confused by two differing opinions, right? It's interesting that the Infinity SN is described as having an MEC 2-band preamp and controls same as the Dolphin. The website says that the Infinity LTD2000 has a MEC BEC III-2 3-band preamp (like the Thumb). Jason has it pegged if you have a recent version of either the SN or LTD.

The manual seems to cover early-production LTD models only, in which case you'd have the SD preamp and Mike would be correct.

Clear? I didn't think so... :oops:
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so i have the seymour duncan preamp?

and what is a coil tap? which possision is active and which is passive on the volume? thanks.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Here's a way to find out:

- pull the volume knob "up". Do the bass and treble controls still do anything? If not, that's passive. If so, then that knob does something else. Describe the change in sound to us

- put the blend on the bridge pickup. Pull the stacked knob "up". Does the sound get thinner? that's single-coil ("coil tap") - down is humbucking.
  7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey thanks, ill let you know.
  8. Geshel was right on there (big surprise, eh? :D ). I checked and confirmed that my Infinity has the SD preamp. I also checked with Rob at DBG who confirmed that the early Infinity LTD2000s have the SD preamp, while the later production models have MEC.
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Glad to be of service. :)