Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A and D still kinda buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jun 15, 2003.

1. I have come very close to setting up my sixer to alost perfection, but even thought the neck bough(sp?) is almost perfect the A and D still buzz a little when I dig it a little deep. The low C (1st fret) still buzzes a little too, as well as the Ab on the G, is the second fret off or something, what the hell is going on!!!:spit: :mad:

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sounds like you may have it as close as it will set up. You need to keep in mind that there is a limit to how low you can go with a bass that has not had the frets precisely leveled. Unless you are lucky enough to own one of the high dollar boutique basses, chances are that the frets have never been leveled and crowned.

Generally speaking, the problem that you describe is caused by not enough relief in the neck. You say that the bow in the neck is almost perfect. I'm not sure how you determine what is "almost" perfect. Almost perfect means, literally, that there is almost no buzzing in the first few frets. Since you do have buzzing in the first few frets I question the statement that the relief is almost perfect.

It's very simple to check for a high fret with a straight edge. If it doesn't have a high fret, add just a bit more relief.

Hope this helps.

Pkr2