1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A and D strings louder than E and G

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 21, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive got this problem on my MIM jazz, the middle 2 strings are way too loud, through searching i think i know how to fix the problem, the pickups are a bad height.
    ive also tried EQ, but the differance is too great and my EQ isnt enough to cover it up(which isnt good anyway, i want to fix it)

but...

"lowering the pickups" wont work, because j pickups can only be tilted to 1 side or the other, and not "split" in the middle.(Im sure this is quite obvious)

so, how do i fix this? most of the other jazzes ive played have pole pieces at the same height, but for some reason my A and D string pieces are higher than the others. (possible mod by previous owner??)

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

that was the thread i looked at, but i changing pickup height wont really work, as ive mentioned, and EQ doesnt work because ive tried.

as for a limiter, that works to some extent, but it means i have to use my pedal(which i dont want to have to rely on)]

anyway, thanks for the reply

3. Check the saddle height -they should be parallel to the radius of the fingerboard.

Not sure how adjustable J Bridges are, but its not the pickup, its th esaddles

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

each string has an induvidual saddle with 2 adjustment screws

the G and E string saddles are slightly lower and tilted, while the A and D strings are higher