A/B amps in a live setting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by npbassman, May 21, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002

I'm curious......I have two completely different sounding heads. One is an Ashdown ABM 500 with an SWR IOD that I use for overdriven sounds ala Godsmack and Korn. The other head is a Carvin R1000 that I setup for clean tones with the occasional chorus, flange, etc. Is it possible (and safe) to setup an A/B switch between both heads and feed the same two cabs (one input from the carvin and one input from the ashdown) as long as I don't send the two signals at once? Or would I need separate cabs for each head?

2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A/B-switches are designed to handle instrument level or line level signals, I doubt that they work safely if you send several hundred Watts through them.
    But I'm not an expert on this.
    If you play more than one set (or have any chance to change the connections, e.g. during the 7 minute drum solo :D) I would rather play one set with one amp and the other with the second amp...
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It would be ok to use the A/B to switch your bass btween the two heads, but not to hook the two heads up to the same cabinets. Use seperate cabs for each head and this will work fine.
  4. just use the pre-amps in the heads for the different sounds and then use only one of the heads power amps to power the cabs.
    like run the a/b switch between your bass and the two head and then patch the output on one head into its return or power amp in.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    This seems to be the best solution if you want to compare the preamps, however it's not possible to compare the poweramp sections this way.
  6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Mesa makes a rackmount amp switcher that's pretty heavy duty. You might want to look into that to see if it could do what you are looking for.