A/B boxes ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jan 27, 2002.

  1. Ok here's the deal..
    I want to hook my bass up to 2 amps at the same time. so i'm looking for a pedal that can do the following : input -> 2x output, not A or B, but A and B.

    sort of a signal-splitter..

    so far I've found 1 pedal that can do this..


    the right button is quite unreadable from this picture, but it has 5 mode's

    <li> A <-> B</li>
    <li> A <-> bypass</li>
    <li> B <-> bypass</li>
    <li> A -> B -> -> bypass </li>
    <li> A + B mix -> bypass</li>

    Does any of you know / use this pedal, or know any options ?
  2. oddentity

    oddentity Supporting Member

    Nov 20, 2000
    I think Morley makes an AB switcher pedal that does A, B and A+B.
  3. hmm.. but morley = $$$++;

    the Boss is about $ 80..
  4. I use the Morley and just picked up one on Ebay for $35 US. I don't know what shipping might be to you AllodoX, but if you can wait until April, I am trying to do the Amsterdam vacation again this year and could maybe bring you one.

    And the Morley has been able to take quite a bit of abuse, they get stolen before they die.
  5. Hey man.. if you come over here, let me know.. i'll buy you a beer 'n show you areound a bit :D
  6. downstairs


    May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    or you could go to an electronics store and buy an adapter that has a 1/4" male on one side, and two 1/4" males on the others side for about 20USD
  7. Bassmouse3


    Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    Hi there Allodox!
    I once played in a punk band, where we didn't have an amp for the vocals, so we bought an adaptor (basically a tiny black thingamabob, just like the one Downstairs described, although it should only cost a buck or two...) and we used the guitarists amp to amplify both the vocals and the guitar! You wouldn't believe how much it sucked to hear distortion on the vocals, but hey... My point is that you don't need an artsy fartsy micropreamp adaptor, you won't lose any signal with my solution either...
    Best Regards, Bassmouse3
  8. heheh..

    well i'm very picky when it comes to gear :)
    I want it to be perfect.. don't want loose cables etc floating around..

    i'm going for the Boss tho.. it fits nicely with my other Boss'es :)
  9. hyperlitem

    hyperlitem Guest

    Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its called an A/B/Y box. Morley makes one. You can choose both amps or one or the other. I had one for guitar amps for a while. I think they run under 50 bucks. The guitar store i frequent sells them so PM if u need help on finding one or sumthing.
  10. I never turn down a good beer. Will let you know if I can get a trip together.
  11. =^..^=


    Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !

    I've got one !

    I use mine to split my effects chain into two manageable chunks, and to occasionally mix the two chains in parallel.

    Just tried out what you want to do though (feeding two amps from the A/B at the same time) and it will do what you want on the mix setting. The level controls become individual volumes for each amp.


    If you hit the footswitch by mistake then you'll end up with no signal as it will revert to the 'output' socket rather than the a/b sockets(which could work as a mute switch I suppose)
  12. Jeff Moote

    Jeff Moote Supporting Member

    Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I have one as well. I use it to either blend effects and clean, change volume, or change output for various derees of saturation on the overdrive. It does what you want to well. I also like to do the opposite and use it as a mixer (recorded bass, and me live) for layered tracks.

    Overall I love it, but if you can do w/o the extra features, the morley or what ever else is better. The reason: the boss isn't true bypass and you can still hear your effects when it's bypassed. Still, I need all the features, and the bypassed colouration is minimal.:)
  13. EString


    Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Whirlwind makes the best A/B box out there. It's kind of pricey though.
  14. Funkster

    Funkster Supporting Member

    Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I use a A/B box for running two basses into one amp!
    Rolls makes a whisper quiet A/B box for around 35 bucks bran new! www.rolls.com
    I have been using mine for about a year now with no failures....

  15. brianrost

    brianrost Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

    If all you want to do is use two amps at once the A/B box is an expensive way to do this.

    You can just patch the line out of one amp into the line in of another so the second amp is just slaved to the first.

    This will be much cheaper than using an A/B box!
  16. noo !!

    argh ! i tried that.. sounds like :eek: !
  17. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    May 27, 2022

Share This Page