1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A, B, C, Y Pedals? Is there a pedal with Simultaneous inputs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Poon, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Guys,

I think I'm going to be taking up playing some keyboard synth in the band. Instead of running my keys through the PA, I'd like to run it through my bass amp.

I know there are pedals that can switch between inputs A or B or C but NOT any two of the three at the same time.

For example : Loop Master ABC Pedal

And there are pedals that can combine output A or B or Y

For Example: Loopmaster ABY Pedal

But is there a pedal where I could have both signals on at the same time? Sometimes I don't think I'll have time to flick a switch and start playing at the same time. Or I'll want the bass or keys to continue to sustain while I start playing the other. Any ideas?

2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
  3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Will an ABY pedal not work?

4. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Boss LS-2

If using one bass and one keyboard
    Plug the Bass into the "Return" of A, plug the keyboard into the "Return" of B. The two most useful modes would be either "A+B Mix->Bypass" which would have both on at the same time, or "A->B" which would only switch back and forth between the keyboard and the bass for the most efficient switching(if you dont want to use both instruments simultaneously). Both loops A and B can be used for any instrument and have a level knob. The third knob changes the switching modes.

For one bass and two keyboards (or vice versa)
    You can plug one synth into the 'Return' of each loop (leaving the 'Send' empty), your bass into the Input of the LS-2, and then a cable from the output to your pedalboard or amp. The mode "A+B Mix-> Bypass" runs A and B in parallel with a level knob for each loop, so you can play notes on both instruments at the same time. When you hit bypass, it goes to your bass guitar, hit it again and you have both synths active at the same time, etc.

Great pedal, you can find them for $50+ used. One quirk with the pedal: Even if you're only using the two loops as descbribed above, and not using the input for anything, you still must have something plugged into the 'Input' of the pedal for it to turn on- a patch cable with nothing on the other end works just fine.... unless you're using the LS-2 to power other pedals, then it will turn on without anything plugged into the input... not a big deal, just putting that out there.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I believe that these will do A or B, but not A&B in terms of input. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the response man. So you can have a singular input going into an LS-2 without having anything coming out of the loop? Seems like a cool pedal. I'll check into it. Thanks.

6. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    The Y of an ABY pedal will have both inputs on at the same time when you use the two outputs as inputs and the input as the output.

7. does this pedal do not just that either? I'm thinking about to buy this to switching between a normal mic, a contact mic and a sleepdrone, and a would like to use several inputs togehter (eg AB or AC or BC)

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you sure? Does it work reversed like that?

9. If you want to use an A/B/Y pedal backwords (ie, to run two things into one amp), make sure you use an active, buffered box, otherwise you are going to lose signal, volume, add noise, mess up the impedance, etc.

A small mixer sounds like a better solution, all though they generally are not foot stompable.

Try contacting any of the smaller companies that make A/B boxes and loopers, most will do custom work for anything you desire.

10. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    friend of mine is in a metal band that's just guitar and drums. he runs a guitar and a bass rig with a Morley AB pedal. both rigs, at the same time.
    just reverse it for two inputs to one output.
    done and done.

11. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Passive ABY works in both directions, but I think that buffered box like LS-2 should work better than passive one. I guess that mixing two signals isn't as obvious as splitting one.

12. Dom Phenom

Dom Phenom

Apr 24, 2008
    I confronted a similar issue switching between bass and synth in my band. My Experience:

I built a passive A/B switcher from a kit, and it works great most of the time but has some ground loop issues, and causes significant hum in some venues. I bought a used Boss LS-2 which works great, and lets you cut the volume of either of your inputs (which is helpful, since keys tend to run way hotter than a bass, especially a passive one like mine). That way you can still jack up the volume on the keyboard to get a better signal/noise ratio and maintain balance between the bass and keys.

I think you could set it up using the loop pathways to play both at once. However, if you really just want to be able to play both at once through the rig, why not just get a Y cable that has 2 female quarter inch ends, and one male quarter inch? They're like 10 bucks at radio shack and it will work fine.

13. This is the problem I mentioned with the passive boxes; The LS-2 seems like the best solution so far!

14. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just talked to loop-master and they said for an ABY input and ABY ouput box, it would be $125 + shipping. I think an LS-2 is definitely the way to go now.

Thanks guys.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I use small mixers to split my signal 4 ways and recombine 4 back into one.

pedal.

First I run into an equalizer then I split the signal into 4 parallel signals with a rolls mixer.

1 - I run one into the Line6 bass pod where I model an acoustic 360 with a rat distortion pedal. I use this to get a retro growlly distorted sound. Or I also model an Ampeg fliptop with the Rat Distortion pedal.

2 - The second signal goes into a Mxr bass di+. I use this pedal to get a clean modern sound. It also has a distortion button that can give a moderate to extreme amount of modern distortion.

3 - The third signal goes into a Marshall Guv'nor. This gives me an old 60s marshall stack sound. This can go from a small amount of distortion to an over the top marshall sound. This effect can give you a Chris Squire Yes sound or a heavy metal sound, or just a subtle amount of distortion.

4 - The fourth signal goes into a Tech21 vt bass pedal. With this effect I get a slightly dirty Ampeg SVT bass amp sound with a tube like growl.

Then I remix the 4 signals back together and run it into a bass amp, or pa, or studio mixer. Because the signals are parallel I can mix clean and overdriven sounds together and still get effect and a sound that punches through the mix.

16. A little bit of thread revival.

I'm in a similar situation with some added complexity. The Boss LS-2 looks good in my situation as well, but just wanted other potential opinions.

So as far as input I'm using my Bass plus two synths (Nord Lead 2 and DSI Evolver), but I play bass synth as well as pads and leads on both synths. So I'm looking to have a switcher to have bass only, Nord bass synth + bass, or Evolver bass synth + bass and a way to somewhat quickly switch between.

I will probably also have both synths going to the PA as well for the pads and leads with the caveat that the bass patches will probably go as well. I think I might be able to setup both synths to use different outputs depending on the bank/patch, so I might be able to avoid that situation.

17. as long as its a passive one.

18. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Why not just use a small mixer? You don't really need to 'switch' between them really - just don't play notes on anything that you don't want to hear...

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Passive splitters/mixers can be used backwards, however... [Axe grinding] Passive splitting typically works well, although there is a minor risk of feedback loops in certain situations. Passive mixing is more often a bad idea. While it is possible for it to work well, as in Ric5's case, there is a high likelihood of ground loops, feedback loops, and excessive loading of the sources (especially if any of them is a passive bass). You have to be very crafty/careful (or just lucky) to get good results with passive mixing, and IMO it's not even worth experimenting with. [/grinding of axe]

20. The main reason I don't want to use a mixer is that I may not be playing bass synth all the time. I use the synths for pads and leads as well, so in those cases I wouldn't want the synth to go to the bass amp.