a-b of Modulus Q and Status S-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Could some compare these two instruments, particularly the 6 string models? What are the tonal, construction, feel differances? Please only reply if you have played both so i can get an accurate comparison. Thank you, Nate
  2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I dont have any experience with their 6er's (I have played them a lot but never owned them) but I have owned their 4's. The basics of their tone are somewhat similar and both are very very sturdy instruments. You can throw everything you got at them and they never flinch a bit. IME the status is the better of the 2 but its a win -win situation. I dont miss my Q4 but 4 years after I sold my Status im still kickin myself. To me the Status is the ultimate finger players bass, clean,punchy,deep,resonant and it fits many musical styles.

The reason I liked the status more I think is to me it had more character in the tone while the q4 sounded to perfect for me. On the q4 there seemed to be less of the "wood" sound. But both are great basses.
  3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I concur with the nod to the Status. The 5-string SC-2 I played was in the top 3 basses I have ever played, the other two being a Fodera 5 and a Curbow 5, in no particular order of preference.
  4. Coyote,
    How is the B string on the Status? I ask because the S-2 is only a 34'' while the Mod is 35".
    You say that the S-2 has a good finger sound, what about slap and pick styles?

Thanks for the feedback guys, Nate
  5. well i have been talking with Rob Green at Status Graphite(he has been very helpful by the way) and I am this close (imagine my fingers very close together) to placing an order for an S-2(see attachment). I asked him about some things about the S-2 series like wieght, balance, B string tension and I am about to explode with GAS!!! Thus is just about everything i have looked for in a bass. Anybody have some more insight?
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

What do the S-2's go for?$$$
  7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Are you planning on getting a headless S-2? If not, the new S-2 headed models are 35", not 34"

I've owned many Status basses including a 4-string S-2. They are excellent basses. They are comfortable and you can get the action down incredibly low with no buzz. The electronics are very flexible, especially with the parametric midrange.

I found that I like my all graphite Status 2000's and Status Stealth a bit better - just had that extra amount of agressive-ness to the tone that I was looking for.

I haven't played any Modulus', but wouldn't hesitate to go for another Status. Rob is great to work with and will do whatever he can to build you what you are looking for.
  8. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

the SC-2 I played was a headless 35" scale bass, the first headless 35" Mr Green had made. If you are thinking of getting a new Status, you can get a headless 35", if you want. Status has double ball strings in a 35" scale available, though the Status headless system allows you to use conventional srings too. The B on this bass was great and very resonant, in fact this resonance was the most striking thing about this bass. So, get a headless 35" 6 string thing! Small side bonus: the headless models employ a zero fret, and no nut, so it will accomodate any string guage without reworking the nut.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Does anyone know who is a Status dealer in the US?? Im mostly looking for prices.
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

anyone?? Come on I know I hijacked this thread and all, but come on help brother in need!!! :)
  11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I don't believe Rob has any dealers in the US. Even if he does, you are MUCH better off going direct through him. His prices are very reasonable and like I said, he'll do what he can to build you the bass you want.

If you want to e-mail me, I'll see if I can dig up the price list I've got saved somewhere here on my machine:
  12. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Those pictures of the S2 look absolutely sweet! I've been looking for a new high end bass for some time and I think the Status could fit the bill.

I'm after a 5er and it's going to be between the S2 and Stealth models. I wanted a headless one, because style wise I think that's what Status tradionally built, plus I can see many practical uses.

However, I did note that headless scale was 34" and yet headed was 35". I've never had a 5 before so it's important to me to get a good solid 'B'. Other posts I've read on the subject suggest that it's not just scale it's all about build quality. Given the quality of Status basses I would think that a 34" scale would still have an excellent 'B'. Can anyone confirm this?

Early next month, I'm taking a trip to The Bass Centre and I'm hoping to put these two basses (and many others) through their paces. Then, if all goes well, I'll put my order in with the man himself.
  13. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The owner of the 35" headless SC-2 (that I tried out) said that he noticed a difference between his previous 34" headless SC-2 and the newer 35" in terms of the B string. I have a 34" Zon 5-string and the B is just fine. Scale length and B strings have had much discussion on this forum. High build quality (not necessarily high price) will get you a good B string, and I can personally attest to the very high build quality of Rob Green's basses, and Joe Zon's, for that matter.

MatW: note my previous post, that you can get a 35" headless SC-2 or Stealth, if you want.