1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A/B pedal for bass and iPhone into amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kohanmike, Nov 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

My Carvin MB15 combo amp doesn't have a second or auxiliary input. I have a need to play back a recording for my next gig as an intro to a song and I was wondering if there's an A/B pedal that will allow me to plug in my iPhone (with adapters for 1/4" I already have and does work going to the one input on the amp). It can't cut the volume of either my bass or the iPhone.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. kohanmike

I just found the Boss AB-2 online that looks like it's exactly what I need. Hopefully Sam Ash Hollywood has it in stock tomorrow.

3. Put the music track through the PA where it belongs! :)

B-string likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Sooooooooooooo much easier and better to use an aux channel in the PA. The way you want to do it the sound guy has no control over anything without messing with your bass volume or EQ. Bad idea. Really bad idea.

You don't need your phone during the set. Just hand it to the sound guy and let him play the intro. Or, even better, email it to him and let him play it on HIS smart phone. If your sound guy doesn't have a smart phone.... well..... he and his CS800 power amps need to head their heads out of........the 80s.

5. kohanmike

There's no PA or sound guy, just my Carvin amp, the other bass player's Pig Nose Hog, our leader's Fishman Loudbox Mini, and 40-50 unamped ukuleles. Also, it's just going to be Neil Armstrong's "One small step" speech that we're using to lead into "Fly Me to the Moon" during the set. I just picked up the Boss AB-2 and will test it today at rehearsal.

6. How ya gonna hear dem Ukes wiv no amps???

Your band is amplification deprived!! :)

I hope you go over with all pleased with the evening. :)

A couple of my brothers are taking Ukulele lessons ( oh the shame of it! ). Apparantly there has been a resurgence of the instrument in the UK. The collective hits of tiny Tim is a big seller over there! :D

kohanmike likes this.
  7. kohanmike

Used the a/b pedal at rehearsal today, worked perfectly, but when we where finished, our leader decided not to use the speech to open the song. Now I have an a/b pedal to use in the future, which will actually make it easier to bring a second bass.

@BassmanPaul - the ukulele has been in resurgence for a few years now (I think the internet and YouTube has a lot to do with that). We have about 90 people signed up in our group and with from 20-50 playing at one time, not a lot of need for amplifying. When we have a gig at a venue with a PA and sound board, they always mic the group, so no worries.

BassmanPaul likes this.