1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A/B question: SWR WM10 - GK MB150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snowdan, Mar 31, 2006.

1. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    yesterday my new WM 10 had the first chance to perform in a rehearsal situation with a full band. i think i know the capabilities and limits of this amp quite well now.

would somebody with 1st hand experience please compare the sonic output of my amp to a GK MB150 combo amp? how do a) sound and b) maximum volume compare? the GK amps are rare in germany and i cannot demo one.

thanks!

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I haven't tried the WM10, but I have tried SWR's WM12 and the G-K. They are comparable, so I think the G-K will be much superior to the WM10. But you should save some Euros and get a Roland Cube 100 Bass if you want maximum punch from a small combo. It's similar to the G-K tone wise, but louder and less expensive.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've played the WM12 and GK amps...both nice but different in size, features and sound. I also just got a WM10...sounds nice for its size, but I'd use it just for acoustic or jazz stuff.

BTW, mine has a rattle on E notes...any similar observations?

4. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006

i demoed the roland. super loud for the size. i am looking for a GK for portability reasons only. tone-wise the WM 10 is fine.

noone with actual 1st hand experience?

5. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i have in the meantime bought a GK MB150E.

there is no way that this great little amp is louder than the WM 10.

the Workingman 10 has WAY better bass response. on the other hand i like the articulate mids of the GK. it sounds very good for my DB.

i have sold my WM 15 yesterday to fund the GK. I gig in one acoustic/electric jazz band and in a 2guitar/singers/percussion setting. very likely i will keep the WM 10 for 6string and other BG jobs and combine both combos for larger venues. that should do the trick for most purposes.