1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A/B Switching between the 2 inputs on a 70's Ampeg v4-b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tolas, Apr 27, 2006.

1. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    The pre-amp tubes I have hooked up to each input are very different. Input 1 is a nice clean tone that requires a ton of volume to break up, and Input 2 is a very high-gain tube.

I'd like to use an A/B switch to switch between the two settings/volumes in the middle of playing. I'm just wondering if this is bad for the amp to switch right into/out of the inputs like that.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Great Idea, It wont hurt your amp. I use a A/B/Y pedal to switch between 1-2 or both channels, on my Mesa 400+.

3. Yeah, it won't hurt the amp at all. But...if your channels are acting that different, something isn't right. Check and make sure all the correct tube types are in there.

-Nick

4. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005

Ehh, to be honest, I just think the 1st channel pre-amp tube is a little weak. It's far quieter than channel 2, and doesn't start to break up till like 12:30 on the dial. Where as channel 2 is very "hot" and breaks up around 10:00. I think this is the only difference. Other than a bit of a tone difference. I just kinda want a quiet channel and a loud/dirty channel.

The power tubes / cap were replaced about 6 months ago, and really brought out the difference in the pre-amp tubes.

5. channel 2 sounds normal...with a passive bass. My MM Sterling would start to distort at like 9:00.

-Nick