1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A/B Warwick Corvette STD 4 vs Thumb BO 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kristlik, Dec 5, 2006.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I would really like to know how a Thumb BO 4 compares to a Corvette STD 4 (bubinga).

I spent all day playing basses, and came to the decision that I like the STD 4 better than anything that I've played. My only real problem is I was unable to find a Thumb BO to play.

I've found a new Thumb BO 4 for just a bit more than the new STD 4 that I'm looking at buying. I really like the STD; I just don't want to buy the STD and keep having that nagging feeling that I should have gone ahead and taken the leap of faith and gotten the Thumb. It would be so much easier if I could have found a Thumb to play.

So, buy the Corvette STD 4 active (bubinga) I know I love; or buy the Thumb BO 4 I long for but have never tried, but think I will love (every recording of a Thumb I have heard-pro to novice- I have loved the sound of the Thumb more than any other bass that I have heard).

2. go for the thumb if you have the $$$, you will not be dissapointed! i'm using a 5 and it's cleary the best bass i've ever owned. the thumbs' sustain and tone are cleary superior to that of the corvette.

i wouldn't mind having a fretless black corvette though...;)

3. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    I played all 3 (Thumb B.O. and NT as well as the 'vette STD active 4) I ended up getting the 'vette because I could not see/hear a grand's worth of difference. Yes, the contoured smallish bodies of the thumbs were great, and while to my ears they sounded different, not necessarily better: but 1,000$+ dollars for this? It just doesn't add up IMO..I would actually like to play a neck-thru 'vette but I'm not sure they make them (perhaps in the custom shop?) Anyway, after I bought the 'vette I had a bit of buyer's remorse and I felt like maybe I should've gotten the Thumb.You know the brand's flagship and all... The 'vette instantly grew on me though. Especially with DR's, I found "my sound". I've been to the music stores since and again played the others and I am now convinced I made the right decision.

4. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Might also want to think about the comfort issues if you play live a lot. The thumb doesnt balance so well, yet some Vette's are heavy. I am a fan of the mid 90's Streamers and Fortresses but hey that's just me.